Fly Tying
flyfishing99

Trying to Tie a Loop Wing Dun

Hi,

I've been tying for a long, long time. One fly pattern that I like and does not seem to get much attention is the Loop Wing Dun. There is very little on this fly pattern on youtube, etc. I'm not sure if I'm doing a good job on this pattern or not. If not, I would like to know what it is that I may not be doing correctly.

Thanks for looking and appreciate your comments.

Byron

IMG_2294.jpg

Nice fly Byron. I'm no expert on loopwings, but that looks pretty good to me. I like that you stacked wing loops rather than having one loop. One suggestion would be to tie in the loop feather a bit further up just at the junction of the thorax and abdomen. That way the wing will be the width of the thorax and be a bit better scaled to the natural wing.

Mike.

Nice fly Byron. I'm no expert on loopwings, but that looks pretty good to me. I like that you stacked wing loops rather than having one loop. One suggestion would be to tie in the loop feather a bit further up just at the junction of the thorax and abdomen. That way the wing will be the width of the thorax and be a bit better scaled to the natural wing.

Mike.

Thanks Frequent. I will adjust the tie-in point and try again.

Byron

Those are really nice, I do like the wings on the second one better. Do you have a material list or tying instructions, I am still just getting back into this. I would like to give that a try :-)

Those are really nice, I do like the wings on the second one better. Do you have a material list or tying instructions, I am still just getting back into this. I would like to give that a try :-)

Jason Borger shows his method ( which I tried to emulate)

Thanks,

Byron

http://fishfliesandwater.com/flies-tying/loop-wing-dun/

Thank you for linking. I gave it a try and I did not do any where near as good as you LOL. But I'll have to keep that one for a pattern to improve upon. I really like the way it looks and I do not recall seeing it in any of my pattern books.

Thank you again

I forgot to ask.

I noticed that the link said something about triming the hackle from the bottom. I am assuming this is a dry fly pattern. Would trimming the hackle of the bottom make it ride lower and more likely upright in the water or would trimming the hackle make it sink like a wet fly? I was curious because I dont know wether trimming a dry flies hackle effects its ability to still float and how it changes the hackles performance in water.

I forgot to ask.

I noticed that the link said something about triming the hackle from the bottom. I am assuming this is a dry fly pattern. Would trimming the hackle of the bottom make it ride lower and more likely upright in the water or would trimming the hackle make it sink like a wet fly? I was curious because I dont know wether trimming a dry flies hackle effects its ability to still float and how it changes the hackles performance in water.

Trimming makes it ride lower, but it is still a dry fly. That also helps stabilize the fly. You don't have to trim the hackle though.