Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Markbob

Going to PA

I am headed to Harrisburg for two or three weeks at the beginning of Feb. for work. I did some reading on line and it looks like there is some great small mouth fishing up there but what I am really interested in is the trout fishing. Is there any chance of getting into trout that time of year in that area or is everything going to be frozen over?

I am also pretty excited about taking a visit to Bob Clouser's shop which is in the area.

I've heard some great things about PA trout. I'm sure you'll have the water to yourself in February. Always a plus, Seperate the men from the mice. One of the guys from the Muskie forum is from PA and catches trout up there. Five Finger Death Punch is his name. Nice guy. Maybe he can fill you in on some stuff. . .

Be sure you post some pics for all of us. New water is always nice to see in this dreary time of year.

I've heard some great things about PA trout. I'm sure you'll have the water to yourself in February. Always a plus, Seperate the men from the mice. One of the guys from the Muskie forum is from PA and catches trout up there. Five Finger Death Punch is his name. Nice guy. Maybe he can fill you in on some stuff. . .

Be sure you post some pics for all of us. New water is always nice to see in this dreary time of year.

You would be surprised how many guys are on the streams around here in the winter, especially on a nice day.

pick any of the limestone/spring creeks... they stay open and fish no matter what the air temp

and are some of the most famous trout waters on this side of the country

be prepared for gin clear water and smart trout

The susky smallmouth are a joke to thier historical presense

I have read that I am going to need to pick up some leaders in the realm of 7x and 8x and 12feet long, is that accurate?

I have read that I am going to need to pick up some leaders in the realm of 7x and 8x and 12feet long, is that accurate?

9' 6X should be fine this time of year. lots of midge fishing now. nymphs, buggers, and streamers are the go to flys. A cress bug will do on the spring creeks.

sandflyx is spot on........especially about the midges.......throw in some egg patterns too........nice sized woolhead sculpins also

If you need some help picking a stream......give me a shout......streams to consider:

Yellow Breeches

Big Spring Creek

Letort

Falling Springs Branch

Clarks Creek

a little ride: spring creek, Penns Creek, Pine Creek, Big Fishing Creek

Well, thanks for all the information guys but it looks like it may have been a bad gouge by a little bit. Turns out I will be in or near a town called Hamburg which is north of Reading, PA. I am guessing that the flies and techniques will be the same, just different streams. But its not so far away that if I get a day off, I couldn't meet up with some of you.

Since your close to Reading (I live about a 1/2 hour away south) your best place for info and gear is Tulpehocken Creek Outfitters (TCO Flyshop) which is just outside Reading and close to Tulpehocken creek. The "Tully" as we call it is a tailwater fishery and has some great fishing year round.

The Little Lehigh is also not to far away either. There is a nice heritage fly fishing section where no wading is allowed and lots of fish in it. It does get hit pretty hard year round, but it shouldn't be too bad. There is also wadeable areas nearby since the heritage stretch is somewhat short.

I've never fished it, but the Lehigh River may be a good choice too since it is fairly close.

Getting out to the Yellow Breeches, Letort, Big Spring, etc.. in carlisle,PA is going to be about a 2hr drive for you one way.

Shoot me a message sometime, I haven't fished in a while and love to get back on the Tully and meet you as well.

Frank

If you want to go somewhere where there are trout, go to the Yellow Breeches at Boiling Springs. There is a fly shop right there.

Welp, breeches and all the others are streams for when you where going to Harrisburg......

I am a retired officer for the PA Fish and Boat Commission-- and my area was: E. Berks and N. Montgomery County...........(which is close to where you will be---I live about 40 from Hamburg) if you are lucky, you might get some ice fishing in !!!!! enjoy what you can while you are here !!!

There are a few streams close to Hamburg worth visiting......

Wading is allowed on the little lehigh in the --Heritage Section-- which is now just a fly fishing only section

Any questions, give me a shout.......check out my website...... I just fished the little schuylkill river last week........I think I posted more pics on the guide service's facebook page....check out the photos.....and while you are there, please hit the LIKE button !!!!!!