Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Tying for the other side of the country

Looking over one of our members from the west coast web site a few weeks back I decided to join a fly swap they were having.

After getting enough people to join the swap the host laid out the challenge.

The rules were tie one set of flies for Steelhead from The classic pattern and one set with the tiers own variation to the pattern.

Knowing I was on a west coast web site, I knew that they weren’t looking for your classic Spring’s Wiggler, Alpha Omega, Bear’s Hex or Stone flies, so I decided to dust off the old fly pattern books to find something that would suite the criteria.

After rummaging through some old boxes I came across a copy of Dick Stewart’s classic flies. I picked a classic that I thought no one would tie and checked to see if I had the right material for it.

I had everything except, all I had in a classic steelhead/salmon hook was the Mustad’s that I had remembered that the host said he didn’t like, and I didn’t care to much for um either.

So on my way home from work Friday I took a swing up to Frank’s Great out Doors

To get some Partridge hooks or maybe some of them Asian high priced outfits that everyone seams to like.

I asked the guy working back in the Fly-fishing section about the classic style hooks I was looking for (something in a size #2 or #1)

He ask me “What the Hell are you tying” I explained to him about the fly swap I was evolved in with the west coast boys.

He told me that they didn’t carry anything like that but they could order it for me.

I didn’t have time for ordering I had to have the flies to the host by Thanksgiving Day.

So I guess I was stuck tying on the old Mustad Limericks

(I hope they don’t mind too much)

I picked this Royal Coachman Steelhead pattern and tied the flies according to the books pattern I guess It looked ok.

But the challenge was to make my own variations for the second set of flies.

If I was fishing them here on the Great Lakes tribe’s my variation would be turning this fly into a size #8 or 10 wet fly with maybe a bead head.

But I knew that most of the other swappers were westies and if I made that variation the flies might end up in the clinker jar.

So I went the other way and made the fly a little bigger and flashier and I even substituted

chenille for the peacock hurl. (I hope there not disappointed with them)

OSD.

user posted image

well if they don't like them send them to me! I really like the looks of both of those good job! I really get a kick out of these swaps, I like tying and find it very interesting to see peoples imaginations at work. I almost always learn something from fly's I recieve in swaps even fly's I don't like very much I often learn from. I started using foam sheets because I saw people using it in different ways and I use a lot of it now. I always tied traditional patterns by the book ( and still do usually) but I liked the substitutions I observed on some swap fly's and came up with a few more productive patterns. Tying is certainly addictive and a great way to kill some time between outings. They'll love em and thanks for sharing them with us, Eric

btw what size hooks did you tie your variations on?

LOL, he's talking about me.

Hey OSD, it's no biggie. I never fish the flies from my swap. I display them in boxes actually. So, if you want to tie on mustad's, go for it. No biggie.

Yeah, it is different. Wintersteelheading, smallest fly in my box is a size 2. Biggest is a 3/0. LOL.

Sounds good. I'm actually doing the polar shrimp. I'll be tying one to classic standards (even with a polar bear wing) and then one tied up as a spey. Just waiting for the rest to come in.

Looks good. Can't wait to see it in hand.