Fly Tying
Chefben4

First go at some pike flies

My first go at some pike specific flies. Hoping to get a line wet after work tomorrow!

Articulating Pike Fly (my first go at reversing bucktail, any tips appreciated)

IMAG0400.jpg

EP Baitfish (perch"ish" pattern

PicsArt_1332376373292.png

IMAG0399.jpg

love the articulated bucktail thats sweet , but those ep ties have blown my mind awesome work there fella got eat me written all over them look forward to seeing more of you work

that bucktail fly is a great lakes deceiver or a cat 5 they are very popular here in michigan for big browntrout

my favorite 2 colors are yellow over white & cotton candy which is blue/pink/white

look up ANGLERS CHOICE FLIES michael schmidt ties the best ones

he ties the head as a giant thundercreek fly by forming a bullet head with the bucktail

Thanks!

Peterjay, just ordered some wig hair. Gonna be making a bunch of pike/musky streamers with it! Any tips?

Really nice. not to bad tho you are on way to havinv fun for sure. I would only say add some orange and green for the perch pattern. Will make a world of difference.

Thanks!

Peterjay, just ordered some wig hair. Gonna be making a bunch of pike/musky streamers with it! Any tips?

Ben, it's like tying with any other slick synthetic; use plenty of cement and make sure everything is glued down securely. (I use Flexament or thinned GOOP) If you've been working with Congo Hair, it's probably similar. (I'm guessing here - I've never used Congo hair) The main difference being that it's so cheap for the quantity you get. If you don't already know how to do it, I'd also learn how to blend colors and taper it without using scissors. It blends particularly well with the H2O Twist that Fly Tyer's Dungeon sells. (I love H20 and H20 twist) Wig hair's's made to order for tying big pike/musky/saltwater streamers on a budget. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Thanks!

plenty of videos on my youtube channel , just tie it up the same as ep , what i do is lay down some varnish or croc glue on the hookshank to create a solid anchor for your materials

Thanks!

Ben, it's like tying with any other slick synthetic; use plenty of cement and make sure everything is glued down securely. (I use Flexament or thinned GOOP) If you've been working with Congo Hair, it's probably similar. (I'm guessing here - I've never used Congo hair) The main difference being that it's so cheap for the quantity you get. If you don't already know how to do it, I'd also learn how to blend colors and taper it without using scissors. It blends particularly well with the H2O Twist that Fly Tyer's Dungeon sells. (I love H20 and H20 twist) Wig hair's's made to order for tying big pike/musky/saltwater streamers on a budget. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Will check it out. I already bought some H20/H20 Twist and angel hair to add to it. Looking forward to tying some up!

Thanks!

plenty of videos on my youtube channel , just tie it up the same as ep , what i do is lay down some varnish or croc glue on the hookshank to create a solid anchor for your materials

Chucker! I watched one of your videos in my free time yesterday. WELL done. Great site. Will be watching some more tonight.

Also, I had time to mess around a bit more with bucktail. Not a great fly, but turned out ok!

IMAG0403.jpg

Looks good to me Ben - if you want to have a little fun, you could tie it sideways so it looks like a dying fish, fluttering on its side near the surface. With all that bucktail, it should ride nice and high.

Thanks!

Got my shipment in the mail today. I CANNOT believe how big of a hank this wig hair comes on! I dont even know where to start with this stuff. I am thinking I can cut it at 20" and make my own hanks. Id love to find some bags for it like congo or ep comes in.

LOL - you sure get your money's worth, don't you? Now you can see why I've been pushing this stuff. IMHO, it's the best fly tying bargain out there. I couldn't even begin to imagine what a hank of that stuff would cost at fly shop prices. What I did with it is bind the hanks tightly in the middle with hair elastics and hang it up on wall hooks. I just take down whatever colors I'm gonna need for a particular fly and put it back when I'm done. I've got 19 colors, so you can imagine the space I'd need to store in in drawers, etc. If you want to cut it, just bind the ends tightly with rubber bands and hang it up on nails or whatever. If it gets tangled, just use your fingers and comb it out gently starting at the bottom. The only color I can see myself running out of in the next five years might be white, as I use a lot of it. The only drawback is that it doesn't come in a true olive, but the gold is actually a nice golden olive, which you can blend with brown, gray, and/or green to get the same effect. Can't wait to see what you do with the stuff.