Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fred H.

Sheepshead minnow

post-11886-0-16155300-1334502476_thumb.jpgpost-11886-0-71824500-1334502536_thumb.jpg

Tried to see if this stacking mono technique could be expanded on . I may have to keep experimenting with tail materials until I get the right look with enough movement. This one is'nt as stiff as it looks but it does seem to me to be more of a lure than a fly.

Fred, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a sheepshead minnow, but that's one realistic-looking fly. Lure? Hey, as long as you're not soaking it in stink bait juice, I don't see what difference it makes. A lot of modern flies could go either way - a Clouser minnow's little more than a glorified jig. Very nice work.

Thanks Peterjay ,Tex dawg and Kirk .Between the flexament wanting to float this fly and the weight of the hook and small amount of lead I added ,this fly has almost a neutral bouyancy (sp)

Thanks Paul . Do you have any minnows that are unique in size and color that would be fun to try?

Fred

Fred, beautiful as usual! As far as minnows that are different, how about a mullet? I know everyone does mullet flies. But no one does them in mono and flexment. They are all done in either EP fibers or congo hair or that mylar tubing stuff...here's your challenge.. a realistic mono and flex mullet to kill the trout , reds, and snook with... :lol:

Murray

Wonderful work Fred! Heh i saw your face and a little featurette in 'fly fusion' magazine lately B)

Fred, beautiful as usual! As far as minnows that are different, how about a mullet? I know everyone does mullet flies. But no one does them in mono and flexment. They are all done in either EP fibers or congo hair or that mylar tubing stuff...here's your challenge.. a realistic mono and flex mullet to kill the trout , reds, and snook with... :lol:

Murray

Thanks Murray ,I'll see what I can do.

Fred

Wonderful work Fred! Heh i saw your face and a little featurette in 'fly fusion' magazine lately B)

Thanks alot. Yeah their editor called me for that particular fly . It is not one of my favorites but I was honored to be asked.

Fred

post-10925-0-38465600-1334628831_thumb.jpg

here is our gobies the steelhead and bass both eat these

"Challenge accepted" HIMYM reference