Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

Squimps

Never realized spoons had such a rich history! I see that unique sheen, I'm not familiar with tin spoons so that is why I thought polished lead.

Interesting.

I figured ya'll were my age or a little older from previous posts, maybe mid fifties to early sixties but this conversation makes ya'll sound like really real old farts! I just hope when I'm older I can remember half the stuff ya'll do.

I hadn't bought a commercial popper, not counting a dozen #12 bream bugs I got a couple weeks ago that is, since early eighties when I started making them myself. But a friend of mine said that out of the commercial bugs - he said mine didn't count cause I could never tie enough fast enough for him, that Gaines' bugs were the best bugs on the shelf. I wonder if they are the same since the owner died, sometimes things change when a new owner takes over.

Kirk

Well, thanks Kirk! I am a little older than you, I'll be 57 this year, and now I do feel like a really old fart! :lol:

It's also been a long time since I've bought any commercial poppers. I know both Gaines & Accardo have/had there followings, and some will argue one is better than the other. I guess as far as that goes, we all have our favorites when it comes to fishing. Tom was a real good guy, and certainly knew what he was doing when it came to making & selling poppers. He also owned the Phillips Co., and I believe had some connections with Gudebrod as well.

I also have a bunch of painted popper bodies I bought from him. He was just like us, always tinkering & always trying new things. Some of the bodies I got were never put into production, some were discontinued. I don't know who's running Gaines now, but they're still in business, so I guess they're doing OK.

Ha! You guys are just kids - actually, I'm 65, which in my family, is considered middle-aged. We generally live until somebody shoots us for some kind of malfeasance or other, and the last relative who retired before the age of 85 was shamed into changing his name and leaving the country. What's funny is that I can remember phone numbers I haven't called in 50 years, but I have no idea what I've been doing for the past two hours. Hey, who are you guys anyway? What's this "ADD REPLY" button for????????????????

Sorry bout that, but when ya'll start talking "before WWII" I automatically think you were old enough to remember first hand from living "before WWII". I don't have much room to talk, I'll be 50 later this year.

Kirk

Sorry bout that, but when ya'll start talking "before WWII" I automatically think you were old enough to remember first hand from living "before WWII". I don't have much room to talk, I'll be 50 later this year.

Kirk

(LOL) Good thing I didn't mention the War of 1812. And don't worry about turning 50. The first 50 years are all about gaining experience. The second 50 years are when you really start living.

...(LOL) Good thing I didn't mention the War of 1812. And don't worry about turning 50. The first 50 years are all about gaining experience. The second 50 years are when you really start living.

Good thing you didn't! I'm so dense, I would have been telling friends I know a guy that was tying flies since the Civil War and he's still going strong. What can I say, math was never my strong point. Come to think of it not many subjects in school were a strong point.

Man, if what you say is true about 50, it better get here quick cause I don't think I can handle gaining any more experience!! But I'm inclined to think that with one in college, one starting next year and two still in high school, that timeline may be pushed a little back for me to actually start living.

Kirk

The second 50 years are when you really start living.

Dang, I got a lot of catching up to do then! :rolleyes:

:lol:

I dunno, you guys seem like a couple of happy dudes to me. People who can't fish or tie flies are the ones who are miserable. (along with anybody who's unfortunate enough to be married to one of my ex-wives)