Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytosser

Carolina beach?

Heading to Carolina Beach next month and was wondering if anyone wanted to share some info. I'm not picky just want to catch fish. Taking 9wt, 7wt, 5wt. Sinking and floating lines. Clouser minnows, decievers are mainly what I have as far a salt. Fished there two years ago but didn't do any good on the fly rod. Either the wind was just too much or no takes. Would love to get some fish on a fly.

Thanks,

Go catch a fish,

Gary

I have fished a couple times at wrightsville beach right next to carolina beech and have done ok. I got a few small reds on poppers. It can be really tough in that area to find a good spot, so I would get a guide. I have heard good things about this guide: http://www.wrightsvillebeachfishing.net/ but it is pretty pricey.

Should be some pompano in the surf - anything resembling a mole crab, or sand flea, might pick up a fish. I'd check in with the local bait/tackle shops in advance to find out what else is running. They might also give you some tips on good spots. (up to a point anyway) If you don't know the area, (like me LOL) you might find some action by sight casting - that would be the first thing I'd try. If you're not experienced in the surf, try to bear in mind that you'll often find sizable fish in a foot or two of water, right in the wash. They're looking for food - crabs, etc. - that's dislodged by the action of the waves, and they'll come surprisingly close to shore. Look for changes in the bottom: troughs, holes, rips, etc. I'd also stick with the 9wt most of the time. The 7 might possibly be OK under calm conditions, but generally speaking, a 5wt is too light for surf fishing.

I am just 5 min's from wrightsville beach. There is blues and drum in around the beach right now. We are using popers, surf candy, shrimp and crab fly right now. I hope this helps.