Fly Tying

The Royal Bluf

RoyalBluf.jpg

Hi

(X-cuse my esl.)

I am quite new to fly tying. I started tying flies last december. Soon after beginning I began to see dead people. These zombies told me there is only 1 way to learn to tie flies; "From ye old pat-te-terns" &in ser-RRR-ies". After fighting the windmills, I understood; I should have bought the coloring books instead of oils &because I did not, there was no getting through on finnish flytying forums when I started to invent my own patterns. Not that any who has not been tying flies for @ least ½ a century could do such a feat, but I still have my delusions!

I call the following Royal Bluf, since it was inspired by Royal Wulff. The pattern is told to be no good &too hard to tie. I think Royal Bluf is about as brilliant as is the para-Dun compared to Dun. I have not seen a flypattern tied in this "inverted" way anywhere. When some tiers spend hours tying salmon flies, 5 to 10 mins seems quite a short time to tie a fly. Luckily my childhood friend who is an enthuastic fisherman encouraged me by telling me he likes the flies I sent him, so here goes nothing. (the tying pics are not the sharpest on the block, but I think they give pretty good idea how to tie the Royal Bluf). I hope you like it!

Material list:

Straight dryfly hook (with 1x longshank makes tying slighty easyer)

backbone &tail: Bucktail or calf

Chest: Peacock or ostrich herl

½-Sphere-Hackle: longish rooster neck feather

backbody: bodysilk or floss

Butt: the tying thread (different color then the backbody)

Colors you can choose to your or target species liking or even match the colors to local insect life ;)

(If you would like to buy these flies, send a PM)

IMG_0807.jpg

Tie tail hair on to the hook sharp ends forward. The Exact length &number of hairs varies depending on the size of the hooks, but on size 8 dry fly hook ~7 2" hairs seems to be nice.

IMG_0808.jpg

Attach the herls &the hackle feather on the hook as shown.

IMG_0810.jpg

Create the chest from the herls.

IMG_0813.jpg

Now comes the "tricky" part. Take the hackle feather gently. Since we are gripping the tip "gentle" is the magic word. Lift the tailhairs up tight, as 1 would when tying a para-hackle, with the hand that does not use the spigot (left I assume)! Rotate the hackle feather thightly around then until there is only as long tip left as the hairs are long. Push the hackle slightly down on the hairs.

IMG_0818.jpg

Pull the tail hairs back &tie them down. If you succeeded, only the "laboury" part is left :D. Spin the tying thread to the rear end of the shank &attach the bodysilk.

IMG_0819.jpg

Build a conish back body out of bodysilk. Either end tying the body with couple of half hitches or take it to the tying thread &tie it down.

Make a butt for the fly with the tying thread &end it with some half hitches.

-Happy Fishing-

Ilkka Tenhunen

Finland

Nice tie, sir! I've seen several flies tied similarly to yours, and I have to ask, what's the advatages to reversed tie?

Nice tie, sir! I've seen several flies tied similarly to yours, and I have to ask, what's the advatages to reversed tie?

Great

It would have been terrible to invent something alone ;)

Can you point me to flies, please.

If I understood the question; the reversed tying is only way to tie the ½-spherehackle &it creates dynamic continuing appearance to fly, since the back is created with the same hair as the tail. (you can try to tie it the classic way; you will notice how flat the fly is without the backtenssion &the ½-spherehackle bedomes a ½-tubeHackle.)

Very nice, I like the ingenious way you thought this out, and the way the fly came out. Your pattern is very similar to a hackle-stacker, see this video of a hackle stacker dun. The video shows that there other ways to do these hackles, but you have come up with a very nice method, which should have many applications. Keep it up and post some more of your work. I like your word play with the name.