Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

2005 warmwater resolutions

This year I want to spend some real time going after Large and Smallmouth Bass. I get them regularly anyway, but I've tied some Bass worms, and big Dahlbergs and other such stuff specifically for going after them and I need to spend more time doing so. I have never spent a day tossing a Diver or any other topwater fly for bass. I usually do it for a few hours then switch to a more numbers oriented fly. I need to use the "worms" too, cause soem are like 3 or 4 years old!

I'd like to spend some time chasing Pike as well. I get kind of impatient so even when I'm on good water for them, if I don't get one soon enough I end up tying on a nymph or something and finding the panfish!

Like last year I'm still on a quest for that 20" Smallie. I came close last year with an 18 incher but the accident happened 2 weeks later which ruined the best part of the Smallie season. I'll get there this year headbang.gif

I am also hoping for my first pike on a flyrod.......I'm headed up to mich. over the 4th of july to a buddies cabin. Other than that, I'm just hoping to get out more than last year................however, I may have stumbled on a very unique(to my area) carp fishery this past Fall......i need to do a little checking.......It may prove to be quite exciting.........

Mike

I'm hoping to hook into any size river smallie. I've only caught them casting in a lake.

BFR

Just once, I would like to catch a carp on the fly. Just once biggrin.gif

I tried a few times last year but they totally blew me off. Closest I came was an inhale 10 feet away from me. It exhaled the woolly bugger faster than I could set the hook.

luvinbluegills - I can understand where you are coming from....I can be in my good clothes and stop by any one of several ponds and catch a few bluegills and small bass - completely gets rid of the day's stress in half an hour (usually a solunar period).

But to go after smallmouths, I have to have more than 30 minutes and even though the creek is only 1/2 mile away, I know there will be some hiking, getting wet over my knees, and some stinging nettles to get to any spot that isn't hit 5 times a day. So for me, smallmouths take a definite commitment.....you just got to make it....at least a couple times a month.

Catch more and bigger carp on the fly this Summer. Then give OSD the photo so he can use it for endless torture in Photoshop wars! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Jan 2 2005, 03:36 PM)
Like last year I'm still on a quest for that 20" Smallie. I came close last year with an 18 incher but the accident happened 2 weeks later which ruined the best part of the Smallie season. I'll get there this year headbang.gif

I'm with you on that. 2003 gave me 7 fish over 20", last year I didn't get a single fish that stretched more than 19". They are out there, and they are closer to home than you think!

Joe C.

I want to catch a bass on a flyrod. I have caught them on flies with my spinning rod but never on a flyrod.

Jim

JHust plain get out more often. The beginning of last year saw me 2+ months in a wheel char (try teaching a lab from a wheelchair sometime...not much fun) and then lots of catching up after I was out of the wheelchair. I'm still not completely caught up, but I'm very close. So I plan on going fishing much more often.

Mark Delaney

Im with Nick on this one. I hooked in to a couple of carp, one by accident and it was a bruiser. Id like to be able to target and catch them with more regularity.

Carp I stalked quite a bit this year with no luck, I had one on for a few minutes but it bent a barbless hook straight, in all honesty it looked as big as my leg...

I'm only 5'6'' but that is still a big fish. But any carp will do...

If I'm gonna ask for a big fish...I want a pike so big I have to call the DNR to ensure it is not an alligator biggrin.gif