Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Ohio Sucks..

Really I've never even heard of it help.gif

Columbus is only about 2 hrs away, if I don't get with you this spring, get with me wink.gif

Billy, Twenty inch fish in the creeks of Paint lick, too...some places you can jump the creek have 3 lb smallies in March...amazes the hell outta me!!!!

My uncle took me down there a couple of times. We'd fish that creek and them come back toward Wilgreen and fish the other one. The one near Wilgreen has been meathogged to death. They are starting to come back a little. The KDFWR has been patrolling that area a little better. Especially in the Spring when the Helgies are a hopping....

Billy

"...meathogged to death."

Starting to find that with more and more of the streams/rivers around here too. That's why I'm careful what I post on forums anymore. Lots of "non-members" read them just to find out where the fish are. sad.gif down.gif cursing.gif

I'll grant you, Ohio isn't the best flyfishing.........but, I still get out and enjoy myself. Have you ever heard of a place called "the wilds". Flip Pallot filmed an episode of "Walkers Cay Chronicles" there this past July. I wanted to get up there to see him, but couldn't make the time. Mad River outfitters out of Columbus hosted him. "The wilds" is about an hour East of Columbus off I-70. they have pic.s posted on their website. I've been checking the Walkers Cay website, but they haven;t posted their 2004 show schedule yet.

Thanks for the info Mike I haven't heard that before. I just went and checked out the site and am I crazy or were them Rhinos in one of them pics???

No, you aren't crazy.........it's 10,000+ acres of reclaimed strip mines that was originally leased by several of the larger zoos in Ohio to grow hay and other somewhat exotic plants to feed their herd animals. They then started using it as a place to store their surplus animals from their breeding programs. They now use it as an educational tool for schools, scouts, etc. You can go there and take a mini bus safari and see all the wild animals. they just recently opened it up to fishing, but i think they have some sort of exclusive agreement with "Mad river Outfitters" out of Columbus to run guided trips there. In checking their website, their trips are a little pricey......I think i will stick with my trips to the Ohio Power Lands which butt up to the wilds......other than holiday weekends, I have never hit big crowds there........nothing like a long weekend floating around a beaver pond in your belly boat.....