Fly Tying
Jimr1961

First Saltwater flies

Jim I also have a question with the wire weed guards when you fish them do you place the weed guard so the wire is under the hook point or do you fish them as they are pictured. My concern is when the fish strikes the fly the guard compressing against the hook and blocking the access to the hook. I am just curious I bought the wire to do this type of guard just never figured it out to try but seeing yours I am going to try it again.

I've never fished saltwater and never fished a fly with a weed guard. I'm following Capt Bob's recipes in preparation for a trip this coming spring, so I'll fish them per his instructions.

Swamp Rabbit

Excellent looking flies in this thread! I'm going to tie some of those Colorful Clousers; they'll definitely catch some fish in my local surf.

Thanks. I'm really having a lot of fun with these flies. With a few minor changes to my method, I managed to cut 4 more heads the other day in about 15 minutes. They're now painted up in a chartreuse ready for eyes. I just need to decide on color. The tails will be grizzly and collars red and some other color. I'll probably try to tie in the eye color a bit with the collars.

I think copic marker airbrushing will be next on my list. It may have to wait until after I'm back from FLA in April.