Fly Tying
ironmachin

Taking a big step in life.

I'm not sure if this is the place for this but, it's saltwater fly fishing related so, here goes. I've lived in Southern California all my life (39 years) and have recently decided to get out of here. I'm going to be moving to close to the opposite of the Los Angeles/Hollywood lifestyle I'm used to. It was cool being here when I was young and into my early 30s but, these days, all I really want to do is hang out with my lady friend and dogs, get my work done, and fish any chance I get. My work can be done from anywhere and some, if not most, of my clients won't even know I left.

The plan is to move somewhere near Daphne Alabama to help my wife's parents out with issues they're having. I've been looking at the surrounding areas and it seems like I'll be moving to a nice place to fish. Right now I have to drive between 20-45 minutes--in traffic--to get to the beach for some surf fishing. There are some lakes but, they're also a bit of a drive. I can walk to the LA River and fish for carp but, it's the LA River and is hardly the river it was a century ago. I pretty much exclusively surf fish. I mostly fly fish with my 7-8 wt Beulah Surf Rod. We cast heavier bait rigs with 13' conventional surf poles for sharks and rays, and do some light line techniques with salmon/steelhead rods. Lately, I've been enjoying tying 1/4 oz rabbit hair jigs and catching Barred Surfperch with them; they only get to be in the 15" range but, they're strong little fighters and lots of fun on the lighter outfits.

I was hoping that some might share some general information on what a salty fly fisher can expect to get into out there.

Oh man! I wish I could help you dude but Im from MI! I did want to post though and tell you good luck! Im looking forward to hearing of your new adventures and hope to see some more killer SBS's! Im sure there are some people on here that will be able to chime in and offer you some actual advice!

Lived in L.A. for close to 20 years...that is Lower Alabama....Defuniak Springs, Florida....lol. The best advice I can give you is to look up a local fly fishing or tying group and get involved. There are so many ponds , rivers and lakes in the South east you will NEVER be able to fish them all. The Emerald Coast of Florida is GREAT for any and all types of fishing so give it a look and see what is available....

Murray

I would not trade Cali for Alabama, but if I had no other choice well then I guess I'd move to Florida smile.png

I think you're gonna like what you find down there. (unless you hate hot weather LOL) No barred surfperch, but plenty of other species to chase. We've got some very knowledgeable Gulf coasters on board here.

I am not familiar with the area but it looks like just north of the named area should be good inshore fishing. The bay just south should also be good. I did not check the mileage but it is not all that far from Pensacola and I know the fishing in that area can be great.

There is a flyfishing club in Pensacola and I bet there is one in the Mobile area as well. There is a Pensacola fishing forum that is quite active if you have any desire to check into it. If you have any trouble finding it let me know and I will get the addy for you. I don't think you will be disappointed in the fishing opportunities available in the Panhandle area. Fresh water fishing can also be excellent though,again, I am not familiar in your specific area.