Fly Tying
Fish For Life

Dry fly hook size

Not trying to be a smartie but it really depends on what's popping out of the water at any given time. Be more specific perhaps.

At first glance, I was going to agree with Flyunder, but if you were to change the question to something like "what size dry hook do you fish the most every year?" the answer would probably be #18. There is no other size I would fish year round. YMMV.

I read somewhere a few years ago the the average dry fly starts with a size 14 hook. Like everyone else said, it kind of depends on where you are and what the fish are taking. Most of my dries are in the 14 to 18 range, but some are as big as a size 10 and as small as a size 24. I'm not trying to beat around the bush but it is a very wide open question.

Take Care, Tony

Doesn't seem to matter what sizes I tie, the hatch is either bigger or smaller!

Cheers,

C.

Ah, but my flies seem to either shrink or grow as I cast them! They look just the right size when I tie them on, but dont match the hatch by the time they hit water!

Simon

Simon

That's funny and true. But if you are close I think it does not matter. I have tied on a fly that by the time I lost it, it had no tail, lost one of it's wings, and just look like it came off the grill of my truck but was still catching fish till I lost it.

Sorry fro not being more clear. I want to go buy some whiting 100 pack saddle hackle, the bags come for a certain size of hook. I dont want to have to buy 20 bags of hackle so i was trying to narrow it down to 5 or 6. At least until i find what colors and patters work good for the fish im fishing. And thank you for the the people who did respond so far. its been very good help.

The packs come in a wide variety of sizes from #8 to #22 with #24’s and #26’s available in limited colors

you might be better off just buying whiting farms introductry pack and you will get a better range of sizes

you might want to sit down and figure out exactly what you want to tie and buy just those h

FFL:

You would probably be better of with a cape then saddle. Saddles tend to come in 2 maybe three sizes on a full patch. Usually 14-16. If you buy the whitting 100" then you can get the size you want. But your best bet for he money is a cape. It will tie a range of all sizes. Then when you find the size you want you can always buy a saddle to just about the right size.

Agree with Flytire and dontheo. Get the cape pack, which is CHEAPER than 5 Whiting 100 packs. Four colors, will tie a wide range of sizes, and will allow you to figure out exactly what you need down the line.