Fly Tying
Woodinfliezz

9wt line on 8wt rod????

If your reel is a bit smaller than the ideal, the easiest way to deal with it is use super braid as your backing instead of the standard dacron or Micron that will allow you to have enough backing (I like 30lb braid for anything less than a 10 wt - above that it's 50 or 60lb braid)....

With any reel that you're loading for the first time - wind on the fly line first -then load on your backing (leaving a bit of space at the top -never load backing so close to the top of the spool that you're in danger of jamming it if you forget to level wind perfectly in the heat of the moment.... After you know just how much line your reel will hold - then remove backing and fly line (re-spool that backing since it will tangle otherwise....) then re-load backing (after laying a turn or two of masking tape to give the braid something to bite into), then the fly line.

Remember that braid can be problematic if your knots aren't up to snuff, braid always wants to slip against itself, otherwise. My anchor knot for braid backing starts with a 40 turn Bimini Twist to double the line (a nine turn Spider is almost as good)..... I take that doubled line and secure it wth a nine turn uni-knot -then wind on the braid. At the last of the braid it's another 40 turn bimini, then a doubled surgeon's loop if I'm doing a loop to loop connection... if not, then a double uni with a nine turn uni for the doubled braid then a three turn uni for the fly line.. Hope this helps.

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

awesome smile.png thanks guys i think i messed up though i got an 8wt reel and orvis 9wt intermediate line ohh well hopefully i can replace said reel for a 9wt when it comes in i hope any way or is the 9wt on the 8wt reel ok as long as i dont load it with backing fully????

I wouldn't worry about it. Most of us have a lot more backing on our reels than we're ever gonna use. Unless you plan to do something crazy like chasing tuna, the fish you'll be after with a 9wt are unlikely to spool you anyway.

so awesome news getting the reel and lines today hopefully jsut waitin on the rod to come in i got a TFO Fly rod Chronicles 8wt rod. :) the reel is a cabelas prestige series i got it because it was almost half off and its just something to get me started until i can save up for a 200 dollar one :) any ways thanks again the responses above are the reason why i love this forum yall rock :)

so awesome news getting the reel and lines today hopefully jsut waitin on the rod to come in i got a TFO Fly rod Chronicles 8wt rod. smile.png the reel is a cabelas prestige series i got it because it was almost half off and its just something to get me started until i can save up for a 200 dollar one smile.png any ways thanks again the responses above are the reason why i love this forum yall rock smile.png

Wishing you the best of luck with your new gear - hope you hear that reel scream before too long.