Fly Tying
switch10

Half hitches mid-fly with a true rotary vise. Is there a better way?

I personally use a hand whip exclusively because it is faster for me and I'm habitually used to it. It is another tool (whip finisher) I don't need at my vise but I've seen tiers pick one up and lay the wraps just as fast as I can. Some bodkins have the half hitch tool in the handle. I had flies sent to me from a friend that used half hitches exclusively. I looked at the wraps with a strong magnifier to compare with mine and was amazed at the accuracy of his half hitches. The overlaps were perfectly in line, no bulk, and appeared more secure than my not so neat looking whips. But I'm comfortable that the whips. I only whip 2 or 3 times just to hold when using the rotary cradle. I like trying different tools and techniques but seldom change what I am used to. Whatever works for you is all that matters. Not what is best for others.

And remember when tying with half hitches with a true rotary that it has the possibility to work loose if its tied in wrong. yes there are 2 half hitches, standard and reverse.. just to screw things up more..one way could slip the other locks down when turning...

also NORM your my hero, I agree totally..