Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Al Beatty

Looking for a Fly Pattern

Hi Group,

One of our customers from Georgia asked us to tie him a pattern he used to purchase locally but can no longer find. We've never heard of it; it's called a Cade's Hopper. Does this sound familiar to any of you. We know most of the better known flies but this must be a local pattern kind of like one of our favorite Idaho flies, the Lochsa Special. Anyway, we'd sure appreciate any ideas, recipe, someone to talk with, etc. Take care & ...

Could that be a Jack Cabe hopper? I think they are sold by Yeager's fly shop if this could be what you are looking for.

Jim B

Hi Jim,

Based on the phone conversation with the customer yesterday the fly you suggest looks like it could be the ONE. I found a picture on Yeager's website and forwarded it to the customer who by the way is Georgia Congressman Paul Broun from the 11th District (I think). Thank you very much for the help. I appreciate your suggestion. Take care & ...

Hi Jim,

I e-mailed a picture of the fly to Paul you suggested that I got off the Yeager's website and he called a few minutes ago advising it was in fact the fly he wanted. Thank you, again for the help. Take care & ...

There is also a Cade's Hopper, which is a parachute pattern with legs. It seems to be a Smoky Mt. pattern. Cabe's Hopper is a Blue Ridge pattern (Highlands, NC.) but both could be considered Southern Appalachian patterns. Since you seem to have what you need, though, it's just a bit of trivia.

Hi Jim,

I e-mailed a picture of the fly to Paul you suggested that I got off the Yeager's website and he called a few minutes ago advising it was in fact the fly he wanted. Thank you, again for the help. Take care & ...

There's an interesting discussion on history/origins of the pattern, how it is tied, and materials used here: http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/jack-cabe-hopper-t5432.html?s=0079adb890684eef073e92cd16ef26c0&

Simple enough pattern. Will have to give it a try...