Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Woodinfliezz

Rude Fly Shop

I will never go back when that jerk is working

I would never go back, period. In addition I would give a phone call, not an e-mail, to the manager explaining politely and articulately what happened. Unfortunately, in today's world, CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THE ONLY REASON TO SHOP LOCAL... I am 100% for supporting the local economy but to be treated as if I am bothering someone because they are expected to do their job is totally inexcusable.

I also don't exactly understand why there is apprehension to name the stores where this stuff happens.

thats a shame seriously the big box stores are great for what they offer but you cant get the same thing as local knowledge and expertise in a big box store

I disagree. For example, Bobby Clouser Jr. runs the fly shop in my local Bass Pro. You can't get much better local knowledge and expertise than that. Seems as if he's ALWAYS there, and I have never once had anything but a good experience there.

the store is rivers n glen trading co here in augusta ga the only fly shop here in this god forsaken town and its a shame that the douches who work there are such big douches

the store is rivers n glen trading co here in augusta ga the only fly shop here in this god forsaken town and its a shame that the douches who work there are such big douches

LOL When I lived in Dothan, Alabama, shortly after I moved there I went into what was then the "best" outdoor shop in town (I can't remember the name now, it's been a while), and asked if they had any fly tying or fly fishing gear.... The not-unexpected response was "There ain't no trout around here BOY!" I convinced myself that the poor fool couldn't help it, probably not a leaf off his entire family tree had ever fallen outside of Houston County. Douchery was assumed, until proven otherwise.

sounds like you guys with bad experiences need to move out west.

No, just need to keep it honest and take our hard earned dollars elsewhere.

Part of the issue is that many of us are old and experienced enough to know what we want, what we should pay, and where we can get it. The bigger problem is for the people who are new to the sport, get treated poorly, and get turned off.

I guide out of a buddies shop and some times work weekends to help out. The first thing he makes sure with anyone wether an employee or just one of the shop rats that hang out is " smile say hey, ask if they need anything. if they say all set make sure they know to just ask" he has delevloped the moto of we treat our customers as if they were one of your fishing buddies. It has worked very well for the last 6 years and the business is still growing. Funny thing is there is a Cabelas superstore less than 30 miles away an we get a fair number of unhappy customers on their way back to Boston or porvidence, this has actually allowed him develop a good customer base of anglers from both RI and Mass. I can not tell you how many times I have been treated like a no one in a fly shop. more than once have had the presssure put on to buy this or that becuase I needed it to be any good. as for shoplifting it is a source of very direct loss to shop owners. It is hard to make money without hugh markups on most items, theft is 0 % mark up. twice in the last 18 month he has has high dolloar necks/saddles walk that was easily $100 lost. so instead of following customers we allc ame in one night and move the whole store around so you can see 90% of the potentail loss items.

steve

I guess we all have at one time or many been treated rudely. But I do agree with letting the owner know about it. Here in Port Canaveral there used to be Capt. Jacks ran by him and his wife only. Great mom and pop service. But as they got older and needed to get some help they hire a guy who was rude obnoxious and down right insulting to customers. I told Jack about it after he'd been there at least a couple weeks. He thanked me and wished someone else had informed him earlier. Bill was immediately fired.

Do speak up. Managers and owners need and want customer feedback so they don't go the way of closing. If by chance it is the owner who is that way, well then they have no business being in business and in short time probably wont be.

Sadly the "Fly Fisherman" in both Orlando and Titusville went out of business. I was always treated like I WAS THERE, so I don't think it was because of poor customer service. I don't ooz money in my appearance either. Just maybe the economy slowed sales enough to make it hard to survive. Do try to support your local FRIENDLY shops. I now have an hour drive to my closest shop.