Fly Tying
kimjensen

Wooly bugger.

My fishing concentrate on saltwater, so Streamers are the main game. However it's not tropical saltwater I fish, but cold saltwater in Denmark.

My flies range from size 4-10. Scuds being the smallest.

The hackle on Whiting American rooster necks is generally in the bigger end, so in some way I may have spend money the wrong way, but I'm not that experienced a fly tyier and generally learn the hard way :-) if I tied flies for pikes or super sized flies in general they would fit perfectly and the whole cape could be used.

I was just going to post the same question and found this thread and thought I'd bump it back up. I use size 4 and 6 hooks. I'm in the same boat, seems like I can find plenty of tied wooly worms that have short hackle barbs but most are size 6 hooks and I want a larger hook. The closest I found was the Whiting Bugger pack, nice feathers with the short fibers, but the black pack I bought has a olive tint especially when in the water/sun. So I am thining of dunking the whole thing in some black rit dye, but not sure if it will over-color the green out.

All the wooly worms I tie look almost identical to the OPs pic (at least the hackle length). I've used about 4 or 5 brands of strung hackle and bugger hackle packs that I can find locally, and all of them have feathers with too long of barbs. I don't like the way they puff up towards the head of the fly when stripping in and after an hour of casting ands stripping they start to look like a wet mop, unlike the purchased flies with short barbs, those stay almost prestine as the barbs dont get matted down. There has to be other hackle packs that are out there that people are using for short fibers with big/long hooks. Anyone???