Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Losthackle

First fly & fish

1984. Patapsco river in Md. It was some kind of minnow, on a small ( don't remember size but smaller than a 14 for sure) and I have no idea what the fly was.

chub on a mickey finn at bolsters mill on the crooked river in Harrison Maine I was 7

First fish was a bluegill on a very small store bought popper. I asked my grandpa if I could use his fly rod as I showed him the fly I bought for it. He said yes and I spent the rest of the summer day trying to learn how to cast it. I am sure by accident the fish took the fly. At the end of the day my grandfather sent the rod and reel home with me and I have been completely ate up ever since. It is still fun to get his old set up out every once in awhile and remember what got me started back when I was 8 years old.

Thank you to everyone who has replied. It's been an absolute delight for me to read the replies. Nostalgic, humorous, factual, excited...they've all been great.

Looking forward to more!

@@losthackle

Beaded head pheasant tail. A white fish on the south fork of the snake. Might not have been much but I was happy with it. Not sure what year it would have been maybe around 2003 a sophomore or freshman in high school.

If I remember right, it was a brook trout on a humpy in Rocky Mtn National Park

East Branch Swift River in my home town of Petersham MA. brookie. It was a size 10 green body/black head caddis larva I tied. super simple and still works everywhere I've fished it - just dubbed olive green body, dubbed black head. no leggs. no rib.

Will

Size 14 Adams Parachute - small 4 inch brook trout on the Ellis river in Jackson, NH. I can still remember the bright blue spots. My friend who introduced my caught around 20 fish including a few big ones. All I got was the little brookie and I couldn't have been happier.

For the longest time, I couldn't catch anything except on dry flies since I couldn't figure out when to set the hook. Small stream dry fly fishing is a great place to start - you don't need to cast very far at all and those little brook trout like big dry flies!

The first fish I caught on a fly, to my recollection, was with a Royal Coachman. Although it was a dry fly, I think it had been stored in my Father's "Common Sense" fly book. I did not know how to cast a fly rod back then and I fished it drifting it downstream on Cross Fork Creek in Northern Pennsylvania. We were attending some cook-out event that the Cross Fork Club was hosting and I walked out some clearing/field and drifted the fly in a downstream fashion. I remember, vividly, seeing the fly drift in swift current around a log and also - seeing fish come out from behind the log to check out the offering.

I caught a big 'white fish' or two - but also a nice 10"-12" Rainbow. I remember coming back in to the gathering and my Father or others asking how I did and how proud I was at catching those fish. It would take me about 20 more years before I decided to really give fly fishing another try as my Father did not encourage such things, it would have cost a bit too much I think.

It's been a source of enjoyment, frustration, and never ending satisfaction since I got back into it around 1990.

This guy. Nice little wild rainbow. Caught this spring using a Fountainhead Stonefly Tenkara rod with a simple kebari I tied. Apparently I was so excited, I didn't wait for my iPhone to focus on the fish.

post-50428-0-43705900-1382629557_thumb.jpg

The first fish i caught was a 22" inch rainbow on the San Juan River in NM, on a #20 or #22 red zebra midge. I didn't tie that one. It was my first time fly fishing and I was standing in the 40 something degree water with my jeans rolled up to my knees, flailing around like a propeller. Some guides took pity on my and gave my some flies and showed my how to cast, mend, etc.

The first fish I caught on a fly that I tied was also on the Juan. I'm almost positive it was on a chamois leech, although it could have been a San Juan worm. It was a smaller 12" rainbow.

Mine was a blue gill on a green weenie....not my first fly rod fish, but my first fish on a fly I tied...that was about 9 years ago and I was hooked! Thanks Grandpa!!

I caught my first trout in the Gallatin River, MT on a grey hackle (peacock), the only fly I knew how to tie when I was ten years old. Didn't know anything about bugs in those days (1947).

Mine would be a 10 inch brown on a simply tied nymph of sorts. White dubbing with peacock herl head. Didn't have any tungsten beads at that time. I still tie this same sort of fly, just a little neater! Oh and it was at Powder Mills Park in Victor NY.