Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Looking for a particular body tubing.

Sorry in advance as this is a little vague. I am trying to find some tubing that I believe is Mylar of some type. Saw two types. A red one and a yellow one. Both had the open fabric look of mylar with a solid piece of silver tinsel running through it. The silver tinsel was not seperate or ribbed after.

the tubing was approx 2mm width and sat really flush on a plastic tube fly tube. It made an instant ready made tube body.

I have looked in electrical shops and fishing stores and other areas but can't seem to track down the item. Skilton Mylar braided tubing looks similar but lacks the silver tinsel running through it.

As I say, very vague but if you've seen it you'll know what I'm on about. Hopefully someone can direct me in appropriate direction.

OK a bit more searching and Deco flex tubing looks similar. Can't find a UK source just yet and not sure how narrow the DECO stuff is but thats closer to what I'm after.

Edited by Piker20

NoSlack had some interesting body tubing over in the Bucktail thread. Might get you closer.

Yeah that tubing on his fly is too tight knit for what I'm after. The red or yellow in the tubing I saw was quite open knit with a definate silver tinsel band running around. It let the colour of the tube show through or with plastic tubes, some light through and looked very effective for something so quick to slide on.

Flexible chrome braided heat shrink tube. Think I might be edging closer. This stuff would melt down tight to the tube and looks promising. clapping.gif