Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
decker1313

Which line for a Sage VPS 9ft 4wt

Hey All,

I recently acquired a Sage VPS 9ft 4wt rod. I am curious as to which line would be the best pair for this rod. I generally throw nymphs, wets, and streamers. I usually only use dries when the hatch is on. I have tried searching the forums for some input on a good pairing for this rod, but with its age its tough to decipher which modern fly line would be the best bet.

Thanks,
Dan

I use a Rio Gold with mine most of the time - also casts a WF sharkskin quite well

Any 4 weight line will work fine. The VPS is a medium fast action rod. I have SA GPX WF and DT on mine, and it throws them both well. If you are look for a bit more umph, the Rio Indicator line might be a good choice. A 4 weight is a bit light for me as a general nymph/streamer rod, but I really like the action for throwing dries. YMMV.

I have been fishing my VPS 4 and 6 wt rods for well over a decade and LOVE them. I would STRONGLY suggest that you not get a Rio Grand, SA GPX, or any other "plus size" fly line. The VPS is simply too soft and these types of lines will overload your rod. I use a Rio Gold on mine these days.

The Sage VPS rod series is a relaunch of the Sage RPL. The RPL is a Sage classic which was made from 1989-1997. It was replaced by the RPL+. There was such demand for the original RPL that Sage used the RPL blank to make the VPS from1998 - 2005. So the RPL rod was made as a RPL or VPS from 1989 to 2005, a remarkably long run for a composite rod blank.

Original RPLs were in such demand that I eventually sold my 9 ft 5 wt RPL for more than I paid. I used Cortland 333 WF 5 on my RPL so I think a standard WF line will work fine.

It may be a little obscure, but Echo makes a great nymphing line (the Sphere) for $50.00. Even though it was made for nymphs, it will throw a dry fly really well and still reach out nice to 70 to 80 feet without much problem. Echo was developed by Tim Rajeff, who was also one of the masterminds behind Sage. Echo makes a great product. All of my clients that have tried the Echo rods and lines love them.