Fly Tying
Tailing looper

Any NY or VT carp fishermen on board?

I got back from my annual Cape Cod striper fishing vacation last week and already, I'm yearning to hear my drag and see my backing again. :-)

I love float-tubing for the local panfish with my 2wt. but I'd like to feel some big fish on the line again soon. I have some time off at the end of June/beginning of July and would like to try carp fishing.

Can anyone recommend a good area to give it a try? I can fish from float tube, canoe, kayak or wade. I'm in upstate NY on the VT border at the southern end of Lake Champlain. I'm willing to drive a half-day or so if there is a campground near the destination (I have good guidebooks to car/tent camping in NY and VT).

I'm going to give the Hudson River a try in the Schuylerville area tomorrow, although I have no idea if the carp fishing is good there. I know there are carp in Fish Creek, and it empties into the Hudson at Schuylerville. We've had a few days of rain, so I don't know what the water clarity will be like in that area.

The only carp I've ever caught (as a kid, bait fishing) was where a creek empties into the Champlain Barge Canal in my hometown. The water in that area is off-color from the local clay soil, so sight-fishing is out of the question. There are carp in the southern end of L. Champlain but the shallow bays are so heavily choked with weeds, I don't know if it's even worth a try.

Any advice from an experienced carp angler would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Bob

The Hoosic River has some great carp fishing thru Pownal. Its southern Vermont but if your ever down this way its worth it, Ive had the best luck behind the old tannery.

Thanks for the info. That's only an hour and a half from me. (And I've never fished an EPA Superfund Site before!) ;-)

I'll put it on my list of places to fish, for sure.

Thanks again,

Bob