Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
shep

fresh water snail pattern

I'm looking for a good fresh water snail pattern to use for trout fishing. I've heard that the Renegade pattern will work in a pinch. I've also seen variations made with strips of leather wound up to mimic the shell. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The size of snail I'm thinking of is quite small and its shell averages about half an inch in diameter.

Cheers

Shep

I found this one on the net a few years ago and it has worked great for me.

Basically take a piece of rainy's float foam and cut it down the middle. This gives you a long strip. Then put some glue on it and curl it up tightly. After its dried slice it down the middle about half way and stick it on a curved hook. I always have a little nub of foam at the end to use as a head. After its on the hook, take a piece of mono and put it throught the head and melt the mono to use as eyes. Also dont forget to weight the hook because rainy foam floats, and you dont want your pattern to.

So in the end you get a snail pattern that is not only curled up like a actual shell but it is also rounded, so it looks real. ANd they work great.

Gopher

Philip Rowley's Fly Patterns for Stillwaters has one (props must go where deserved). (a) Tie in a length of dark peacock Crystal Chenille, on a 3769 (cool.gif for the underbody use lead wire substitute for sinking or foam for floating, © cover the hook with layers of crystal chenille to build it up, (d) wrap on a hen saddle feature keeping feathers about body length, and (e) sweep the feathers back and finish off.

Shep, here's a link to tying instructions for Rainy's Snail:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw/92198fotw.html

Each package of Rainy's Float Foam comes with an instruction sheet for several different patterns. Although the snail is not on the sheet, it is included on Rainy's video, "Rainy's Favorite Foam Flies".

SNAIL PATTERN

Easy to make. See Leon's Fly Designs on Web Site. www.gameangler.co.uk

IPB Image

Registration is FREE and view fly in Leon's GALLERY

you could make some out of fimo a type of clay that you bake in the oven to harden and comes in tons of colors. More like a hard plastic than clay when dry.