Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BattenkillBum

UTC fail

...there's just too many other options out there that haven't let me down to send another dime to one that has.

EXACTLY. Well said.

I've had this happen, but without any semblance of rhyme or reason with respect to brand, weight, bonding, or color. Usually I ignore it until it binds, then delicately snip the binding thread and discard the balance that was downstream of that cut.

That being said, I'm surprised folks like Veevus.

Maybe my two spools were bad batches (scientifically, it's not a broad selection set, but I'm not about to bankroll a truly exhaustive set of thread that is 0 for 2). Both (black 10/0 and an olive/gray 16/0 are the most break-prone thread I've ever used. No fraying, no warning, no consistency...just normal tying duty and ping!, my thread snapped. Happened on everything from clousers (which tend to require more tension, odd angles, etc.) to buggers and nymphs (which whould present no break issues to even an average thread), to dries.

A buddy of mine swears by Veevus, and has slowly converted his entire thread inventory to their stuff...personally, I can't wait to use up the rest of this and be done with the brand.

100% agree with this... I have a bunch of veevus thread (mostly testing and hoarder reasons) and It's very break prone. The other thing I hate is that there is so little difference (denier wise) from 14/0 to 10/0... 3 different sizes with about a difference of 8 denier. I use 16/0 for some very small stuff, but it mostly stays in the drawer.

For me, if I pull 4 or 5 arm lengths off with the thread under tension it usually solves the problem. If not, I will just toss it. You could waist a lot of time and get your drill, slide a bold through the spool and chuck up an empty spool and transfer it to the empty one. Thats like watching grass grow and paint dry at the same time. For me, thread costs $1 a spool and its not worth my time to mess with it. Sometimes you will get bad batches, just like anything in life. Like I said if you like the thread get another spool and have at it or you can use this as an excuse to try another thread company. I primarily use Danville Flat Waxed or Unwaxed Nylon in 210 or Danville Fine Mono. Heavy Hands, Nicked Up Bobbins and tying at a bad angle is the cause for 99% of my thread breakages.