Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Trout

Lead Ban In Canada

This is the first I have heard of this! Thank DFix for the interesting reading material!

I will probably be reading more on this topic as it will most likely be heading to Mi in the future!

BFR

did the switch from lead shot to bizmuth really hurt that bad.......the price increase didnt even register.....do we need lead????if you were the size of the fish you were catching, would you want a mouthfull size of something toxic ???, if so, would you take it home and eat it ???, or worse, take it home and feed it to your kids ???.

im not trying to flame the thread, i do not know statistics, however, i would not want these things happening. IMHO

I made comments during the intial public comment period as to the merits of the Lead Ban. If you had read original Federal Register document (77 pages) on the proposal you would have said Bulls**t!!!!!!!!!! The overall was based on the total of dead loons and was listed as a very high total. The total of dead loons found during the two year study leading up to the ban was 8 birds and out of those only 4 had any lead level at all in their bodies. I wouldn't consider 4 to cause a national ban.

I think it could also be a plot against the home manufacture of fishing tackle. In the above Fed Register they talk about substitute materials that home manufacturers could use and costs would only increase by $10-$20 per year. Can you say NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I pour my own sinkers, jigs, spinner baits etc. In my own case to retool for materials, and parts would have run $150 to $400 a year. While that doesn't seem like a lot it really is especially when it's hard to find some of the materials. Not all junk yards carry them and to buy them jumps the cost BIG TIME.

To totally buy every jig, sinker, spinner bait or tail spinner or anything made of non lead would have made me bankrupt. If they want to make it just for split shot I would agree to that as making them is a real pain in the ass.

I wish more folks would get involved in this.

Fatman

Bad Science/Bad Politics: On the writing of a few very biased reports, someone has decided to pick up the torch on this issue. There are more reported deaths to Loons from botulisim then lead poisioning. Is that issue addressed, if it could be or even truly recognized? The answer is no. In true typical fashion, a member of the goverment will always pick the easier battle to leave thier mark in history.

Here in Ontario we are dealing with epidemics of Corrants(sp) and Deer. Do you think that the MNR and the government will effectively deal with these truly devestating problems. Nope, because there is no easy, nor popular way to solve these problems. I've yet to see one of these 'black clouds' of death and I hope that I never have to. I just wish that the MNR would deal with this problem swiftly and properly. I have seen the thread bare deer that live in the lower part of the province. Truly a sad site. I enjoy seeing a piece of wildlife just as much as the next guy. But to see deer that are starving, and a prime piece of Boral Forest destoryed is painful. The worst part is that the MNR KNOWS what the carrying capacity is of some of these areas, but continues to drag its feet on culls due to the 'Bambi Lover" vote. Politics is not about winning a populartiy contest (well it is tongue.gif ), but about doing a dirty job.

Is lead a posion? Damn straight, and there is no getting around it. Are there more enviormently friendly products that could be used. Damn straight again, but the restriction should be more thought out. Fifty gr. of lead is a pretty large chunk that I don't think that any Loon would try and swallow. Ban the small stuff like split shot and leave the rest alone (for now).

I think it TRULY is time to look at the larger enviromental picture instead of these little issues that keep springing up it just piss people off and target a small target group. Long strides towards renewable alternative energy sources and industrial polution would have a stronger long lasting effect then a lead ban.

Art

I guess another large concern is that these activists wont stop at the 50g and under. Some of these anglers that are on the front lines of this argument truly believe that the will then try to ban anything with lead, so that means rods, reels and anything else that ties to your fishing line, that contains even trace. This is where I would have to draw the line, and the government and their agencys would be pushing to far.

Lead hysteria is, to me anyway, much like the current hysteria over the dog ban in Ontario: There is NO science to support the ban, yet the politicians are wholly concerned with being seen to be doing something about a perceived problem. If that something (regardless of its effectivity) is pleasing to the uninformed masses, so much the better.

I don't care either way, except that lead is cheap and easy to work, however I reserve the right to shake my head sadly at both the people who make a fuss over things they don't understand and the politicians who cater to (and benefit from) their fears.

There are a bazillion things that ARE killing wildlife: Perhaps we could concentrate on those?

Cheers!

Gary