Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steamboat

How much does a large muskie fly weigh when wet?

I would recommend tying it using mostly synthetic materials as they won't soak up much water. Check out fly tyers dungeon for done good deals on flash and other synthetics.

Do a google search for Brad Bohen or Buford fly. Tie one about 8” long, don’t worry if it doesn’t look exactly right, cut the pointy end off, dunk it in water, and get on the lawn.

After a month or so of practice (until it doesn’t go wrong, rather than it goes right), book a couple days with Brad of Musky Country Outfitters in N. Wisconsin, or Eric Grajewski on Lake St Clair near Detroit. If you enjoy “target shooting” in rivers and want to learn from “The Godfather” of the game, book Brad. If you want to bomb out long casts over open water with higher potential for really big fish, with a young stud who will wear you out, book Eric. Both chaps will have you laughing and thoroughly enjoying a day on the water!

If I had to pick, it would be an intermediate or sinking line, perhaps one size larger than rated for the rod.

May God help you if successful, it is addictive. Which is to say, if you need a partner, let me know...

Sinking line is always going to make pick ups hard, at least they do for me. In my streams I use full floating line and add shot if I need to get the fly down faster.

You won't catch as many fish below the McApline dam like that. I stood beside Billy Wilson from the Louisville, KY Orvis store, on several occasions, he had depth charge line and I had full floating with a bunch of split shot sinkers He was catching and I was not. I started using the depth charge line and I started catching. I struggle with the striping basket which you have to use, because the line sinks and gets tangled in the rocks below your feet.

Clouser minnows are best there with bunny strips and other streamers in second place.

Do a google search for Brad Bohen or Buford fly. Tie one about 8” long, don’t worry if it doesn’t look exactly right, cut the pointy end off, dunk it in water, and get on the lawn.

After a month or so of practice (until it doesn’t go wrong, rather than it goes right), book a couple days with Brad of Musky Country Outfitters in N. Wisconsin, or Eric Grajewski on Lake St Clair near Detroit. If you enjoy “target shooting” in rivers and want to learn from “The Godfather” of the game, book Brad. If you want to bomb out long casts over open water with higher potential for really big fish, with a young stud who will wear you out, book Eric. Both chaps will have you laughing and thoroughly enjoying a day on the water!

If I had to pick, it would be an intermediate or sinking line, perhaps one size larger than rated for the rod.

May God help you if successful, it is addictive. Which is to say, if you need a partner, let me know...

Thanks, I like the looks of the Buford and I might actually be able to tie one with my limited skill set. I want to go on a trip this fall which is the point of asking about practice flies.