Fly Tying
nightfish

Tying book for teaching?

Does anyone know of a manual/book for teaching tying classes? I've been offered a job teaching a 6 week class, beginner to advanced, and I'm wondering if there's something out there, or on the web, to help with planning a course. Any help, or any ideas from the group on how to prepare? This will be a tie-along class.

Check out Fly Anglers Online. On the left frame click on "Fly Fishing Basics". In the next frame on the left click on "Fly Tying". It is a great fly tying "book" that will take someone from beginner to advanced tying skills. You could print out some of that information and use it as well as have your students access the web site out of class. I have tied many of the patterns from there as I was just starting (as I still have much to learn). They catch fish and are laid out very logically, in my opinion.

Brian

I agree with the suggestion of Fly Anglers Online. However if you want a book to hold in your hand the best I have seen is Tying Better Flies by Art Scheck. I wish it had been out when I started 20 years ago. Detialed instructions, lots of good background on materials, and plain language - easy to read and relate to.

Great suggestions. Thanks!

But what I'm looking for is more of a lesson plan...like week 1, intro to tools, materials, proportions, a couple of beginning patterns, etc. Week 2 more patterns & a new technique...things like that. The class will be for 10-20 students, so passing around a book or two wouldn't be very time efficient, although a reading list would be nice to have for them.

This has got to be the best all around book for beginners. I have purchased 6 of them at a slavage book store for $4, they usually sell for $19.99. Everyone I have given them to loved them and learned so much. Very well illustrated, great informative photos.

The Art of Fly Tying By John Van Vilet

8 1/2 by 11, nice size, hard bound

Lots of full color photos (large and very informative)

Here is a list of topics covered and the number of pages spent on each topic

1p History of flytying

4 p Aquatic foods & insect life cycle with fly styles that imitate them (best I've seen)

6p Tools

4p Materials

2p Organizing tying space

4p Getting started, steps to tying a fly

6p Tails, different types

2p Weighting the hook

2p Ribbing

10p Bodies, different types

10p Wings, different types

6p Hackle, different types

2p Knots

PATTERN styles

Each pattern section describes (w/great color photos) hints for that type pattern, step by step for pattern type, and several pages with recipes for each of the following pattern types again w/color photos.

6p Streamers

10p Nymphs

12p Dry flies

8p Wet flies

6p Terrestrials

6p Pass & Pike flies

Everything in this book is broken down to its simplest form. This book will be your teaching assistant and will provide a great reference for your stundents throughout the week.

No, I do not get any cash for the promotion of this book. I think it is worth your time to check it out. I have been tying for over 30 years (hard to believe i'm only 29) and this is what I would use.

Conehead

I'd stick with Fly Anglers On-line lessons, first of all it's FREE and you are allowed to print it. Second anyone who takes your class can go on the web to get to it when not in class.

Books are nice to have but learning the basics is alot more important to start with and FAOL has given you the plan. Some of your advanced folks are going to have books so they'll know what they like already.

Fatman

QUOTE (nightfish @ Mar 10 2005, 08:58 PM)
Great suggestions. Thanks!

But what I'm looking for is more of a lesson plan...like week 1, intro to tools, materials, proportions, a couple of beginning patterns, etc. Week 2 more patterns & a new technique...things like that. The class will be for 10-20 students, so passing around a book or two wouldn't be very time efficient, although a reading list would be nice to have for them.

"Fly Tying made Clear & Simple" by Skip Morris is a book that my Tying lessons were based on.

The flies in the book (illustrated) are staged so that the skills you learn on each Fly can be used in the next fly and so on and so on through the book.

Introduction, tools, materials are all covered plus some extra recipies are listed and pictured at the back.

Skip Morris has written this as a one book course to beginning Flytying.

You could copy pages as handouts.

My $0.02

Good Luck

Duff