Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CSB1

Rolltop Desk

I got mine free but from a friend that threatened to toss it. It didn't have many drawers and compartments but I bought a small oak drawer cabinet that fits in the back. Between that and the small drawers and pockets, it's pretty good for holding the most often used materials. Hanging file folders hold capes and saddles but they aren't labeled so I usually end up searching. Rotating tool caddy and spool roll-a-dex all fit with room to tie with a pedestal vice. Light is an issue, I mounted a small fluorescent light bar and use a magnifying LED lamp. Plastic boxes are stored in the side where a computer would go. Much better than the TV tray, clamp vice, and plastic bins I used to work with.

I love mine but it could be larger. I only have drawers on one side, both sides would have been better but then I picked it up at a thrift sale for $25. smile.png Just picked up a side table that is a better height for tying so Im set.

I have tried a lot of desks and a very nice watchmakers bench, I have not tried a roll top, yet.. I keep getting lost in the drawers. My favorite to date is the plain maple top bench with shelves and plastic storage bins all over the place, a bit unsightly but very functional and disliked by my wife she keeps the door closed on "that room". If I find a roll top free or very inexpensive I would try it but I am becoming fond of being a hermit in my own home.

I have drop-front (secretary) style desk and I like it. I keep my vise on a mat and slide it in and out. I like that I'm out of the main box of the desk to get more light.

I'm going to build my own and things I am going to change:

- I don't like that the main drawer supports the fall front. I keep too much junk in there and its a pain to get to something once I'm set up. supports that automatically slide out the sides are better and have a different drawer arrangement.

- most have cabinets underneath, again prefer drawers with some built in dividers, sliding tills, etc. Can incorporate a lot of ideas from floor-style woodworking tool chests.

- a big bookcase on top with more drawers.

Anything with a lot of properly sized drawers will work well.

I'm stuck with roll-top or drop front since my desk is in the living room and it has to hide away.

Got mine off of Craigslist roughly 15 years ago. 1920's era for about $125. can't really remember. Could use a refinish but just looks wright for fly tying.

Looked a long time before I found one. Most of the new stuff has been "bastardized" for use as a computer desk.

Did find a really nice one at a furniture store once, at least the pictures looked good. They didn't have one in stock and had to order it. The dimensions put it on the larger side for roll tops. Also had a hutch that sat on top. Loads of storage, all for the paltry sum of $7,000. I bout soiled my britches when the wife said "If that's what you really need, order it.". I was so taken by surprise I instinctively said "I'll look for something else". Guess I've been married to long.

If I had ordered it I still would have run out of space.