Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Duck feathers

hey yall, duck season started here today, and we killed 14!! It was a really fun mornin, but the reason of post, is to figure out what feathers off of what ducks are tied on what flies. We killed 14 woodies this mornin, and the guy I gave them to is pickin off the feathers that are under the wing and under the tail feathers. Are these good feathers off of wood ducks? Also, we kill mallard, teal, black ducks, ring necks, gadwals, shovelers, and geese. What are the feathers used off of these? Thanks! Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

Correct me if I'm wrong but I bet the feathers hes pulling off are a lemon colour(also known as lemon wood duck).These and the black tipped feathers are in much demand-the lemon ones very useful for trout wings.Teal and mallard flank also very usefull.On the mallard the bronze barred feathers shoulder feathers are also usefull.Got any more?

Bet your friend as one big grin.

thanks! Any more help from anyone? Trust me ashley, we BOTH have big grins on our faces. One nice duck hunt this mornin, and he`s gonna split up them feathers are give me half of `em! Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

Man, you are into the Mother Lode of serious feathers cheers.gif - there isn't ONE feather on any of them that cannot be effectively used in some type of fly - all the way through; from irridescent head feathers off the mallard drake all the way through aftershaft feathers; whether it's in your own invented sculpin nobody's ever seen before, some serious Atlantic Salmon styling requiring lemon Woodie, or matched wing quills to tie feather wing patterns with- whatever!!!

You really shouldn't be telling us envious tier types (who're always conniving to get our hands on every last one of every one of those that we can beg, borrow or steal!!!!) you get into all those neat birds - 'cuz when envy turns to jealousy cursing.gif, we can get downright mean and nasty!!! gunsmilie.gifdevil.gif

j_k.gif

Man,

I can see the guns pointing your way LOL!!!! If you don't want to pluck them, skin them out and get all the meat and fat you can off the skins. Tack them skin side out and put borax on them (20 mule team borax, laundry detergent aisle) and keep an eye on them. If you see any wet spots develope put more borax on them.

After a week knock off all the borax on the skin and use a brush to wisk them off, re-apply with borax and let it go another week.

When no more wet spots appear knock off the borax brush off and store in a big zip lock bag with a piece of flea collar in it to protect against bugs and you have them whenever you want them.

Tight Lines,

Fatman

these are the flank feathers that are usually most sought after on woodies. Pluck them, make sure that they are free from fat or any other debris, then microwave em. Also heard 10% bleach solution to get em bug free. then store in airtight bag with moth crystals.

user posted image

steve

the cul de canard feathers are a bit hard to find and are a pain in the butt so to speak. They are a group of feathers near the pineal glands that are pretty highly sought after too, but there are just a few on each duck.

steve

I forgot the wings-the feathers from the edge of the wing make excellent wings on mayflies.I use them on quill BWO and hackleless flies.Alot easier than quill wings and stronger.

The flank feathers from all ducks can be used on steelhead spey flies.There was an articule in flytyer a few years ago on their preperation and uses.

Duck donations being taken whistling1.gif

killed 13 more woodies today. Maybe I`ll be able to send some of yall some of these feathers for Christmas! Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

If you "neeD to get rid of any feathers" I know somebody that could use them rolleyes.gif I like to use mallard flanks on big deciever patterns to give a scale and gill effect and wood duck flanks make awesome crab legs and carapces. If I had a camera I would show them both but I still havent stepped in to the 80's yet

If I just took pretty much all the feathers off of the duck, and put them into a bag, and sent them to you, would that work or do you need me to seperate them more? Give me some say so, and I`ll prolly clean the ones we got now, and send them out in a week or 2. Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

I think most everybody in the site is experienced enough to tell what feathers are what and would be able to sort them out themselves. Eleviate some of the work for yourself, plucking alone is a chore sometimes.

steve

Just got done pickin some ducks my brother killed yesterday. There was 3 woodies, and the rest his friends took. So I have 3 packs of wood duck feathers right now. 2 of them don`t have as many feathers as the other, cause they were shot up under the wing where the lemon colored feather is, but I got the other side of feathers from those 2. The other one was shot with one pellet right in the chest, so there weren`t any feathers affected. I`m goin back on Saturday, if not sooner, and the mallards are startin to come in, so maybe I will be able to get a few woodies and a bunch of mallards. If we get alot of mallards, maybe I`ll be able to send yall 2 bags of feathers if I am able to get all of the ducks. Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

coulod use some woodie feathers if you have any left, Gray....no biggie....just if you have any left after the other fellas' requests...thanks.....and GO VOLS!!!!!! See that ass whuppin' they put on my Cats? Sad, sad day in Lexingtopn...froze my butt off at the game!