Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Softex Spawn

SDH yeah i have done many hot glue eggs (also called moe eggs) they are very simple to do and come out looking pretty good but i havent really noticed a difference between using them and regular glo-bug eggs.

SD

Heres the first attempt at covering the egg with softex, i'm still playin around with dipping and brushing it so the results will improve but it is already giving it a nice "slimey" type of look.

user posted image

SDH did you check your local fly shops? i found not only orange/red/pink glue sticks at my fly shop but they also had a small hot glue gun specialy for this for only $5.

if yours dont carry it then check cabelas www.cabelas.com they might have it.

SD

give it a look....i think i paid $2 for five 6" colored glue sticks and $5 for the mini glue gun.

It works pretty good because you can make ethier single eggs or a cluster of eggs. Just put a drop on the hook,turn the hook with the rotary handle if you have a rotary vise to "round" the egg,then dunk it in a cup of water to hardin the egg.

Takes about 30 second to make one so you can do alot in a night!

SD

P.S I think i still have some i'll post a pic if i do

Softex is OK but it gets too thick after about three weeks of opening it for the first time THere is a similar material called devil sauce that doesnt seem to get thick like softex. I have had one jar for about 6mos and no probs the only draw back is sometimes it requires multiple coats to get the build up of the thicker softex. but thats just my .02$

Considering that Softex liquifies your brain and sinuses without proper protective gear, regardless of it working, I'd give Aqua-Seal or Flexament a shot - maybe even Loon Hard-Head Clear. Now- another idea that should be in the Tips of the Day area -

Why not try that colored acrylic fabric paint - I don't remember the name of - huh.gif WAIT! - YES I DO!!! (OhMyGod-I remembered Something!!! ohmy.gif )

E-Z Body is the name it's sold under in the finer tackle emporia. Far less VOC damage to the gray matter, and I bet it cleans up with water, too!

I think the Devil's Sauce is just a modification of Softex, thinned with Toluol and Xylol.

Gee, Where's Marv when you need him???

SD,

Have you had any sucess with moe eggs?

They sure do look good in water. Some of the best looking ones are single eggs with red hot glue as the yoke and a coating of the egg color on top. In the water it looks perfect. But damn if I can catch anything on one.

JJ,

You're not the only one. When they first became real popular (several years ago), a bunch of guys have tried them without much success. Actually, none of the guys I know ever took a fish on them.

Do you guys remember the Burl's Pearls? Now those things really took fish.

I have had "some" success with them for salmon...... by some i mean 2 females hooked in the chops on a redd. Not a real good testament because i think they would'a hit just about anything right then. i just started using them late last year so i havent had a chance to try steelies yet but i will pretty soon so guess i'll see dunno.gif

SD