Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

PA Steelhead Trip

Well Will,i talked to my buddy again today and made sure i could get outa work a bit early to leave on that friday so all looks good. I'd say i'm a deffinent THERE!

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

I am going to call the lodge prob. this weekend and see about a room,really lookin forward to meeting up with you guys.....hope some other members will be able to make it.

Lets just hope Big Daddy doesnt pull out his bag and try to sell us Avon make up back at the lodge blink.gif

SD

Don't worry about the fish.I will be fishing Elk river in 2 weeks.Have to take mom homeAnd brother say's egg patterns with nymph trailer or esl are hitting.Hopefully catch a few.if do promise to leave ya all some tongue.gif Wish i could make it when ya all go cause i really don't want to miss the luv triangle wub.gif The pimping pimp.gif or the cosmetic bag hubbard.gif Sounds like it is going to be a blast Jumpy.gif Rick

Rick you know we expect a very detailed report from you when you get back RIGHT??????

love triangle....dude the door to my room will be locked and deadbolted if BDH is in the building gunsmilie.gif wink.gif

SD

I don't wanna get anybody too excited BUT I talked to the guy who runs one of the tackle shops in erie a little while ago and he said today was the greatest day of all time on the erie tribs. He seen numerous people leaving the streams early because their arms were so sore they just couldn't land another fish. He had several people come in and talk about 40+ fish and that was at around noon bugeyes.gif He said the recent rains brought the biggest push of fish that anyone has ever seen.

I also spoke with him about a group rate for all of us and he said the the lodge has a giant room that has six single beds in it with cable television and two bathrooms and the rate for six people would be $20 per person instead of $30 per person for a single room.

If anyone is interested in saving a little $$$, let me know and I will book the room and everyone can just pay me when you get there.

I also spoke with him concerning the weather conditions and he says it varies from year to year. Last year it was still raining in January and the tribs didn't freeze over til Feburary but the year before that there was about 6" of ice on the tribs by the middle of December. He also said if that was the case we would not be charged for the rooms.

That sounds like a sweet deal. Nothing like a trip on a budget. wink.gif

40+ fish by noon? Holy smokes. That's awesome.

I already booked a room for two, leaves and open bed if needed. The rate is not as good as SH's. Two nights for two people was $138.75. So if some one wants to split it, no problem. If not he said he would adjust it to the one person rate. What ever...!

I have fished Erie tribs for just about 5 years. And have gone with some pretty good steelhead/fisherman. 40 fish by noon is a bit unbelievable to me. bs.gif

A 40 fish to hand day is huge. My personal best was 31 in a day and conditions were optimal and landed 95 % of the fish I hooked. Most days a 60% landing rate is good. The streams get to crowded and to many folks do not let you play the fish and cast over your line.

I'm not a great fisherman but I have been there enough to know better.

Either way were going and it's more about meeting new friends, tying flies and having a cold one.

Did you call the same lodge that I did????

The two person rate that I seen was $45 per night which should total $90 for two nights dunno.gif

Elkcreeklodge..? I used the link you provided.

I got the room with a private bathroom...? I heard BDH was coming so I wanted to have a safe place to.. well you know. biggrin.gif

OK yea I guess those are more expensive and they were all booked up on those the last trip so I never asked how much $$$ they were per night.

Will and I spoke a length about the trip last nite...we are going....hope you fellas can make it! if not, I'll just have to put up with Will all weekend!! And Will, I better get at least one fish...don't relish the idea of driving 9 hours just to listen to you snore!!! biggrin.gif

Ok, I confess.

I'll do my best to make it. This year's holidays are falling on some bad days. Usually I close between Xmas and New Year, but this year it would be for 13 days and I don't think I can pull that off without my customers running me out of town. dry.gif

i talked to my boss at work and was told i cant have the 2nd off sad.gif but if i can talk the wife into it i might be able to swing getting out of work early to head over there. sounds like it will be a hoot. hopefully i will know more in a week or so (after the majority of the christmas spending is done)

I should be able to get off early Friday so if any one comes by the Pittsburgh area or live along the way. Let me know we can share a ride or follow each other.

Unless a freak of nature, expect snow. Erie is in the snow belt and its not uncommon they get 6 plus inches in a night. Only good thing is the landscape in the area is flat. No hills to worry about sliding up or down. Of course you MI boys are used to all that !