Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Chat Room - Need Votes

Do you think a chat room would be good for the forum?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well I have been tinkering with the chatroom idea for quite some time and I just don't have the amount of time need to build my own from scratch because that is a pretty big task and all of the "free scripts" out there are kinda crappy and don't integrate into the forum's user structure. Anyway the developers of this forum have released a sweet chat room program that is designed solely for the forum software that we are running. The software does come with a price tag of $120 and I would be more than willing to spend the $$$ if it will be a welcomed feature, so I will let you all decide.

Will its kinda a hard decision to make. Yes i would like to see the chat room and i along with some others have tried to catch someone in the chat room that we have right now but theres a few things that a "new" chat room would need to make it a good idea.

One is right now there is no way of knowing who if anyone is in the chat room...i have jumped up ther and saw a member or two posted "hello anyone there" and replied only to find that they are gone. So if you do a new chat room there needs to be a display that shows who is in it at the current moment.

The other thing is right now you can only type about 20-25 charcters and thats it...you cant really put more than a few words to gether at one time so that would need to change.

So if its gonna cost big $ to get a good chat room going then i'd say wait awhile about doing it or if the one you are considering has those features then maybe i'll discuss helping you out with the $ when we get together in PA next month.

I guess i'd say lets see what the vote is first dunno.gif

SD

Yea the chatroom that your talking about was just created by someone so I thought I would give it a shot, and it turned out to be the worst chat program I have ever seen and looking at the code a few times it wasn't even worth trying to get that stupid thing working right.

The chatroom that cost $$ is very slick and has alot of nice features and I consider it being worth the money IF you all would enjoy using it.

I have no problem with the cost as long as everyone promises to buy a book or two in the future wink.gif j_k.gif

Hmmm, the jabberchat program used on m-s.com is I believe 25 dollars, and runs on dang near any web server. It is written in Perl cgi. It is not the prettiest of the chat programs but its functional and works. If you decide on a chatroom, that may be the way to go.

As for whether or not having a chat room here..... I guess its up to you, the last thing I need is another thing online to spend hours and hours in.

steve

Smallie,

I would be more than happy to contribute for the software. PM me with your address and I'll send you some $$$

TB

i am more than willing to fork over a little money towards anything that you deem necessary. If its made for this software and you think its nice, I say go for it if you can get enough through donations, as it shouldn't cost you any more out of your pocket.

steve

well darn. I would be willing to hand over some money to, but right now, I`m runnin real low, and aint bought my girlfriend anything for Christmas yet, and I don`t know how I`m gonna make any money until this spring when the grass starts growin again so I can mow it. I would be more than happy to send you a few dollars after I get some. LOL. Just remember, I`m gonna pay you back, it just might not be real soon. LOL. Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

Hey Redneckfisherman,

Be careful your girlfriend is registered on this site. She might think you don't care. biggrin.gif

As for the chat room. I can't make a vote. I only have a PC at work. Have no interest on getting one at home. However this site is making me re-think that decision. I'm in for what ever is good for the site. If we decide on donations for the software, count me in !

QUOTE (J. Johnson @ Dec 4 2003, 08:24 AM)
Hey Redneckfisherman,

Be careful your girlfriend is registered on this site.  She might think you don't care.  biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif Hey Red you could just tell her that you had to help get a chat room so that you could talk to her even when your on the site because you miss her.... sick.gif biggrin.gif wink.gif

SD

Well, I got a good little chunk of change, and it`s gonna take all of it to get what I`m plannin on. But, come spring, when I`m not playin baseball or fishin, I`ll be mowin! That`s where I`ll get some of the money I`m gonna send you is gonna come from. Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck