Fly Tying
Alex C.

World Record Swap

wait till fall and we'll see how many people we can get first before you start tying for it. No sense tying 100 if we can only get say 72 swappers

i think the challenge is going to be finding something big enuff, and tuff enuff, to send and receive the flies in......any ideas ?? maybe 5 altoid tins ??

How about empty plastic VCR tape containers? You know the clear ones you can get at Wally World for $5.00 for 3 containers.

with the idea of packaging on your mind... remember what CapeBsalar said?

Those interested could add a couple more $$ in with their flies and they could get their sorted flies in a fly box. I can get small plastic fly boxes at wholesale in bulk and depending on the # of guys interested Canadian side and US side I could bulk order the boxes, ship the req'd # to you to package your flies and I could have the canadian guys here.

I'd then pack all 100 or so flies in a nice box, get some labels etc and do up certificates of participation, I can design and photocopy 100 or so cert's at work no problem.

I dunno, just a couple ideas to add a little something extra to the experience.

I'd say only about $5.00USD a box per person and the appropriate postage to cover small parcel.

Just a thought to keep on the back burner. I'd just hate to see 100 flies get all smooshed.

its just a thought.

I agree 100 percent with the idea of sending one's flies in an adjustable Plano utility box ($4.50 3 - 36 adjustable compartments) or just going el cheapo and putting the flies on a piece sheet of of $.79 2mm foam. You could even re-use the foam for flies!

If we're talking 100 plus tyers involved, let's keep it simple Folks!

and always keep it deep,

whippersnapper

Yes I do agree, better to wait until after the FTOTY contest is over and done with as most of us will be turning our attention to the contest.

OLB, heres an idea. Find out where the largest collection of flies is, and how many in that collection, then figure out how many you need and how many people to tie however many, send them to you, then you have the worlds record for the largest fly collection. I think the FFF in Livingston had the largest collection at one time. Think they had like a hundred gazillion. Then you do a swap after you verify the number in your new collection. Would be a lot of work, but it sure would be fun to be a contributor. If not, lets just do a hell of a humongus swap anyways.