Fly Tying
Kid Tier

Scotch Guard

I never add any chemicals out of fear of the smell - and I rarely use glue on my flies....

My brother soaks his furled thread leaders in scotch guard and catches plenty of fish...

If you want to try it I would suggest doing so several days before the flies are to be used.

ScotchGuard what- your clothes or the flies?

Flies- I've heard of it and there'll be rousing dispute against it, so you'll have to do your own testing. Some part of the chemical may turn fish off but how would they know it's there on a dry until they took it?

Im going fishing on the 22nd so I will give it a shot.

The scent seems to go away after a few days.

Ill let you guys know how it works.

I've used Scotch Guard with no ill effects. It does change the color of some materials, making them darker. But so does Gink or many other floatants.

I use it all the time and have no problems. What I like about it is that I just spray them right in the fly box the night before. I use the kind with the foam inserts and magnets to hold the box closed. I just give them a goos shot, let it soak in, and turn upside down opened on a newspaper. Then I just close it up in the AM an off I go.

Im suprised that I rarely see it in shops or mail order catalogs. It seems to be great. i can focus more on imitation and I don't have to worry about floatation as much. The scent goes away after awile so im not worried at all.

thanks for the advice everyone

I use a waterproofing agent that loon makes. You soak the flies for 5 minutes after tying and it is permanent, which means it lasts the life of the fly--1 tree or 1 break off. I have also tried using scotch gaurd. I don't really think I have seen a difference between the two methods but for ease of use at the bench I choose the loon product, you just drop the fly in and pull it out later and let it dry 2-3min. You can fit 10-15 flies in at a time and you don't have to set the flies out to get even coverage like you would with scotch gaurd.