Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jschmidt63

foam

QUOTE (luvinbluegills @ May 13 2005, 02:47 PM)
I like 'em! Especially the second from the top right.

er, um, well actually the two in the upper right ar balsa, forgot to crop them out huh.gif

Po0gs

dont mind you askin at all. For foam I dont have a dremmel (i think that is was they are called). I take some foam and rough carve it to a cylinder. Foam is much harder to carve than balsa so it looks bad at this point. I stick a finish nail in my drill and impale the foam on the nail. I lay it on my shop table, crank it up, then lay sandpaper along it and work it until it is a smooth cylinder. I cut the ends nice a neat with a razor blade, I then put zap a gap on a hook with a little thread base, slide it on, sometimes wrap thread around the tail good and tight and add cement. Then I zap a gap eyes on it, couple dabs of permanent marker sometimes and tie on a tail.

very nice looking, and an interesting technique for fly tiers who don't have a dremel. I have a small bench lathe that I normally use for turning pen blanks and other small items and I use that to create my balsa popper bodies, I don't have a dremel and I think i will try your drill technique to make some foam bodies, thanks.

QUOTE (jschmidt63 @ May 13 2005, 10:42 PM)

er, um, well actually the two in the upper right ar balsa, forgot to crop them out huh.gif

Po0gs

dont mind you askin at all. For foam I dont have a dremmel (i think that is was they are called). I take some foam and rough carve it to a cylinder. Foam is much harder to carve than balsa so it looks bad at this point. I stick a finish nail in my drill and impale the foam on the nail. I lay it on my shop table, crank it up, then lay sandpaper along it and work it until it is a smooth cylinder. I cut the ends nice a neat with a razor blade, I then put zap a gap on a hook with a little thread base, slide it on, sometimes wrap thread around the tail good and tight and add cement. Then I zap a gap eyes on it, couple dabs of permanent marker sometimes and tie on a tail.

Are they foam blocks? If so where do u get those? Thanks for the answers m8

QUOTE (jschmidt63 @ May 13 2005, 11:42 PM)

laugh.gif