Fly Tying
DFoster

Unsportsmanlike weather...

Well things are about to get frosty here in Ft Myers.  Not sure what shape I'm going to be in after the storm but if I can, I'll swing if needed by once I can get out of the neighborhood (we get fish on the road a few times a year not counting tropical systems) .  Of course that's provided I can still get cell signal...

Good luck to all in our area and beyond.

Swamp

On 9/28/2022 at 12:15 AM, Swamp Fly said:

Well things are about to get frosty here in Ft Myers.  Not sure what shape I'm going to be in after the storm but if I can, I'll swing if needed by once I can get out of the neighborhood (we get fish on the road a few times a year not counting tropical systems) .  Of course that's provided I can still get cell signal...

Good luck to all in our area and beyond.

Swamp

On 9/26/2022 at 5:08 PM, Capt Bob LeMay said:

A quick note… haven’t been able to call up this site for a week or more now. So glad to see it up again …

With the weather being the original topic on this thread I’m happy to report that hurricane Ian looks like it will miss down here around Miami but instead head for Tampa and points north while pretty much ruining the fishing from the Keys all the up to the Panhandle area of our state.

Lucky me… I’ve only lost three trips I had booked out of Everglades City this week.  Hope everyone stays safe and helps out their neighbor after the storm passes …

How did you guys make out with the storm?  I have a friend in Punta Gorda who posted video through out the day yesterday- it looked rough.

Down here in south Florida we got very lucky and it missed us mostly... except for the storm surge which beat up the lower Keys and the entire area of the coastal Everglades as it passed by. During the storm's passage, the Park (Everglades National Park) had their gates open and I was surprised... After the storm passed, last night they shut down the Park completely, locked the gate (only one road and one gate into the Park - the road to Flamingo....) and won't open again until they can do a full damage assessment... Along with that I've tried today (Thursday) to make a few calls into Everglades City / Chokoloskee , the northwestern boundary of the Park, about thirty miles east of Marco Island and Naples - with no success at all.... I've heard, second hand only, that both the town and the island got flooded.... Not surprising since most of it is very low lying and it doesn't take much to cover it with a storm surge... Will post up when I hear differently... The folks in that area, the Ten Thousand Islands are hardy souls who will get things up and running again as quickly as possible.  Visitors and commercial fishing are their sole source of income and very few, it any can qualify for insurance -if they could even afford it.... Nothing like living in a flood zone that gets hit over and over again.... 

Thanks

Capt Bob I was thinking about 10k, Choko, and Everglades city earlier ta day.  Was wondering how hard they were hit since they haven't completely recovers from Irma yet.  Hope it wasn't too bad.

On a similar note the Ft Myers Beach shrimping fleet has pretty much been wiped out.  Radio described the whole fleet piled up like match sticks on land.  These are 50-80' steel trawlers.  The industry was hanging on by a tread I am concerned they won't be back.  Another slice of old Florida that is now gone.

The Sanibel causeway has sections washed away including some of the bridge.  The road the Matlache and Pine Island is washed out in places.  Who knows how long that will take to fix.

Given that the hardest hit areas are tourist based economies it's going to take a long time to recover.  Even if the businesses have the drive to rebuild I'm not sure they will make it long enough for the visitors to feel like there is enough to come visit.

Swamp