Fly Tying
James113

Matthews Peccadillo

That's gonna be a fav nymph for fishing.

This is what i like,realistic and u can fish with it.

Klaas

Hey James, I was looking again at the flies you posted and really love your flies. I think the fusion of realism and fishablilty is ulitimately the pinnacle of fly tying, and looks to me like your flies have reached the summit.

Graham

Thanks for your encouragement Graham. I enjoy the challenge of trying to make realistic but fishable flies while railing against the limitations it places upon me. How many times have you found the perfect material then realised it's not robust enough to be fished? It's frustrating, but then that's what makes the design brief so exacting and a satisfactory end result so rewarding, especially when I'm retrieving it from the jaws of a trout or grayling.

Keep pushing back the boundaries!

James

James my friend, that one is spot on target! Really nice looking and very "eatable" indeed (if your a trout or graylign that is biggrin.gif )

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the kind remarks regarding my patterns. I wish I had the skill of Logan, Whillock, Mead etc and the time to tie something truly realistic. I'm always amazed at the the likes of Graham on the forum and laterly uffepuffe, who seem to tie realistics at the drop of a hat. I love reading the correspondence and free advice these guys have to offer. I'll post some more patterns soon but I don't know if I'm on the correct site ? As I said before, my patterns are fishing flies. I also would like to mention the Dale Beamish CD. These are fantastic instructions for anyone new to tying impessionistic patterns along the same lines as the UK flytyer Steve Thornton but with Dale's own view of Canadian insects and unique insight into tying. I really do do recommend Steve's and Dale's Cds. I also received an email from Paul Whillock after purchasing his realistic wings. I sent Paul the article on the Scurr and tying instructions. Who knows what the genius of Whillock will come up with! I'm also looking forward to his new book and CDs. Check out his website and order a copy and if you can afford it buy a fly and be prepared to be flabbergasted.

It's been a pleasure sharing patterns with some of the world's best flytyers. Thanks for taking the time to look at my patterns. The pleasure and the privilege were mine.

James yahoo.gif

Hi James,

It's always good to hear from you, and yes this is a good site for discussing, posting and learning about realistics, and making new friends.. With my little indoor trout stream project I've been getting a bit too carried away lately tying non-fishing realistic flies. I'm taking a break from those flies for a while and re-focusing on fishable flies, both realistic and impressionistic. With my Adirondack trip only four days away I’m rushing to make sure I have plenty of size 16-8 stoneflies, very similar to Oliver Edwards stones, some with bead-heads and all with flexible wiggly legs. I have to say that I enjoy experimenting and tying a few display flies, and some of the things I’m learning can hopefully be used to make my fishing flies better. At the very least I’m learning much more about insects than in years past. I wish I had a couple boxes filled with your patterns, my trip would almost certainly be a resounding success.

Graham

I have to agree with Graham. I also got a bit carried away with tying non-fishable flies. It's very nice to tie a realistic flie for display but it's even nicer to tie a realistic fly that you also can catch fish with. As for Graham I have a fishing trip closing in on me, so I will work on fishable realistic now for a few weeks. Your flies are very inspirational James, and I would love to see more of them here in the forum.

Uffe