Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JoeFish

fly times

well, I was curious about how long it took me to tie different flies. I found an online timer and started timing myself.

This is in no way about bragging how fast(or slow!) I tie, just something for me to think about. Especially since I have been tying my butt off for my upcoming trip.

online timer here:timer

To tie the prince nymph I just submitted to the database, average time was around 4 minutes. this is with all the materials layed out in front of me. obviously, you cant include the time lost searching for materials, tools, distractions, etc.

also, this is tying normal speed. I didnt rush for time sake, that would have made the flies suck.

some other times:

size 20 Griffiths Gnat 1.48

Size 18 BWO ~5 mins

WD40 1.10

Madam X ~5 mins

This really makes ya think how much time you spend at the vice, and how valuable good materials and tools really are. Figure you lose 3-4 flies on a good day. thats 20 more minutes at the bench!

I spend so much time fishing it doesnt matter anymore. I know that if I am at least doing fishing related stuff im happy.

Im just curious to see if you guys wish to partake in a little timing of your own. This shouldnt turn into a bragging thing, just informative.

Joe

I can tie most flies within 2-3 minutes. Woolly Buggers take maybe 1 minute.Saltwaters take 4-8 minutes mostly. I was in a tying class and I would tie so fast that I would get 2 of the same fly done before most of the guys had one done. I don't rush either.

gun_bandana.gif gunsmilie.gif

I can tie most trout drys in 3 minutes

Spinners in under 2

basic nymphs under 2

everything else can usually be tied in under 4 minutes without rushing.