Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Caddisman1

Small midge Hooks

Where do you guys & gals order your small hooks from. I am interested in suppliers and brand name for hooks from 20 to 32ies . Does tiemco or Partridge hold fish better than mustad. I am very interested in the replies.

Thank you

John <((((((><

John,

I've been using Daiichi 1110's for anything 20 and smaller. They are the straight eye "big eye" style hook. They only make them down to a 26 though. I've been pretty happy with them for my personal use. The primary reason I chose the Daiichi brand was because I sell flies and wanted a hook that I could promote as my flies being on superior materials when competing with all the imports. I picked the 1110's because not everyone I tie for can thread the eye of a 24 as easily anymore and I must say they do make it a little easier. smile.gif

I use the Tiemco 2488 for the bulk of my small flies. They go down to a 28 or 30. Tiemco also makes a 32 but I forget the number designation. Not as small as the blind eye gold Mustad 32 but still pretty small.

Hello,

I'm seconding the TMC 2488. It is a real winner for small flies. The most important feature here IMHO is the hook gap. By having just a little more width between the hank and point, it allows for better and deeper hook penetration. And you know me, I like to keep 'em deep...

Whippersnapper