Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGuy141

Borax on Partridge Skin

Just bought a partridge skin off the big auction site. The feathers are great quality and for $16 it was quite the bargain. The skin was cured/tanned with borax and appears to be well cleaned. The skin is still pretty pliable but appears dry and no residual flesh. There is still borax on the skin, and I am wondering if I should wash this off or if it is important to keep it on. The residual borax getting all over is a little annoying is all. 

Thanks,

Reid

Hey, I was watching that!  He has some nice skins listed.  

I usually just brush off and shake off what I can.  I have heard some people say tumbling it in a dryer with no or little heat can help, but I've never felt the need to do that.  I have washed bird skins that I bought at auction, but only because the feather were still a bit greasy or dirty, not to get rid of borax.  

I don't think its important to keep the borax on the skin, but I've always thought of it as an investment against future infestation.  

What I think is a good practice when getting a skin from basically an unknown source, is to quarantine it and put it through a few freeze/thaw cycles, just to be safe.  

Before using it the next several times briskly shake it and the majority should come off.   I would not recommend washing it as now you will have to reapply borax and pin the skin to keep it stretched.. I place a piece of cardboard, the size of the bag behind the skin. This will help separate borax from your skin.. so now what you will find is the borax in the bottom of the bag away from the shin.  Empty as needed 

Thanks! I looked it over pretty good for any signs of bugs, but will do a couple rounds of freezing it. The -11F overnight low should do the trick, so I won't even need to put it in the freezer. I'll get a gallon bag and hopefully that'll catch most of the loose borax. Thanks!