Fly Tying
JMS

Matuka Help

Is there a simple way to get the tinsel in between the fibres when wrapping the wing on?

Thanks

Jeremy

I try and bring the tinsel up as if I were wrapping, stopping and holding the end above the wing. Now, the tinsel is alongside the body/wing, and you can see where it will fall on the body/stem. At this point, I take my bodkin and slide it along the front side of the tinsel, poking it through the wing and then pulling up to seperate the wing fibers. Then continue the wrap down into the gap you've created.

Hope that was clear enough.

Cheers,

CD

Thanks guys, one other question............

Is there an easy way to encourage the tail to stay in the vertical plane so it doesn't swing round to horizontal when tying it in with the tinsel?

Jeremy

A number of things can be done to help this -

1. Hold the back of the feather tightly in place with your left hand and don't release until full tinsel tension is applied and the tinsel is brought back toward you under the shank.

2. 'Cheat' the back of the feather toward you on the shank (about 10 AM looking down the shank), such that the tinsel will push it to the top when snugged.

3. If the tinsel or wire is flexible enough, you could probably employ a 'pinch move' like you would with thread when trapping a wing down.

4. Even with these tricks, you might still find you need to coerce the wing a bit for true alignment. Just grab it with your thumb and index finger along the shank where it is bound down and push/twist a bit. They're usually not completely immovable even when the fly is finished.

Good Luck!

CD