Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bullhead

Shooting head Line

Hello, A little information , please. I recently purchased  Wulff "Ambush" 9W and was wondering if I can attach a lead core section to the end. I will be fishing for bass and pike in lakes.  What are your  suggestions on how to attach and the length of the leader? Any other tips will be appreciated.

Bullhead

I use a shooting head on the 10' Powell rod I built back in '84/85 and what I did to attach lead core sections of various lengths is strip a couple inches of coating off the tip of the line then make a loop at the end and whip finish the bared dacron line to the end and give it a coat of flexible head cement.  Leave enough of the stripped line so when you wind up a half inch or so fold the tag end over and whip it down on the way back.  Did that to a bunch of different lengths of it so can quickly change depending on the water.  I used kevlar flat thread to those.

Another loop at the butt end of the line and one on each end of the running line to the backing.  Loops on the leaders as well for quick changes all around.

I'm so out of the loop I couldn't remember what the running line was called for a bit so went and got a little tub of Haagen-Dazs out of the freezer and as I sat back down it came to me.  Never underestimate the power of good ice cream. lol

peace.gif.62fe2ee892a1a1a38f94af4fec99664a.gif

Lead core is pretty stiff by its nature of being lead wire, so if you want something more supple that still sinks well look into getting some T-11 or T-14 sinking material. Some fly shops sell it by the foot around $.75/foot. You can loop it by welding it or doubling back and nail knotting it with 8# mono. I think my lead core sinks a little faster than “T” material but since I switched I haven’t gone back to lead core. 9 wt Ambush will cast 10’ of T11 just fine spey style and OK overhead.