Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

any try these?

getting some new waders before the winter and PA trip so i want to get "lug sole" instead of felt so the snow wont clump on my feet but need something for traction.

I know kokers are very nice but at $80 bugeyes.gif

Anyone try or have an opinion on these?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...arch&hasJS=true

i use the spikes that you strap on, similar to the chains you mentioned.

i have looked into the korkers boots, and have talked to a few people who own them and say the will probably never buy another pair like them. their biggest complaint with them was getting the soles tight enough so you dont get mud, rocks, or whatever else you may pick up along the way to/from/or while in the river. just like anything that you can convert over like that, you always leave some type of gap in them and cant get it tight enough the next time you put on another sole. (i hope i worded that right)

i am looking for a new pair of boots also. i have it narrowed down to the simms freestone for 79$ or the orvis ultralight wading boot for 89$. both have their pros and cons, i just gotta get up to the shop with my waders and try them out.

Thanks ffe i hadnt even thought of rocks and debris getting under the Kokers but you have a good point.

And i have the orvis ultralight wading boot that was the model before the latest (which is probaly the one your talkin about?) anyway they are very light and a good boot,if your lookin at the new ultralight its deff worth the money.

SD

chewbacca (aka steeldrifter) devil.gif

yes i think it is this years model of boot. cant remember for sure, but it is in the catalog they put out at the beggining of the year. i have been debating on which one to get for a few weeks now. i like the freestones, because they are wider giving you more room to layer socks and what not, but they are rather heavy and come up really high on the ankle/calf. where as the orvis ones are light, but not cut as wide therefore making it really tight when wearing a few pairs of socks or what not. but they are alot lighter than the simms.

i guess i should just break down and buy a pair of neo's for the winter, but in michigan you never know what the weather will be. i remember fishing with shoe a few years back in feb, and wearing just a t-shirt and a light sweatshirt. i think it was something like 60+ deg. that day. and then the next week we meet up and there is over 2 ft of snow on the ground and more coming as we float merrily down the river

i figured with the way the board was going tonight i should clarify something. i was wearing a t-shirt, light sweatshirt, pants and all the other necessary clothing one needs when out in public rolleyes.gif

yeah i cant comment on the simms,i have seen them but never tried them on. with the orvis ultralights that i have i can wear a pair of "themo" socks over my regular sock in my stocking foots and its still a decent fit but it is "snug".

Good luck with whichever you decide on getting.

Chewy tongue.gif