Fly Tying

Okay so when I buy Marabou sometimes the there is no heavy quill in the marabou and sometimes there is. Someone told me there is different marabou from different birds, (Turkey or goose).

So is this the truth or will you get that heavy quill depending on where it came from the bird. I always thought it was from turkey.

I really like the marabou that I bought at gander mountain because it doesn't have that quill but it is really hard for me to get there on a regular basis. So also do any of you guys know where I can get the type of marabou that I'm describing.

Thanks Lew...

I look each bag over as best I can and remove the feathers from the bag befor each purchase. If I find a few baggs that I like ill get them all. I do not think there is a difrence in birds or rather diffrent birds used but I could be wrong. I like the long flexible one my self. I have seen select marabou befor all presorted long and flexable. You really have to keep an eye out and shop more than one store. Also ask your shop manager to look up select marabou for you. Gander may not be able to do this for you. There orders are done via the home office not in store. In my opinion michigans ganders fly shops stink. I get only a few oddball things there.

Lew,

I believe if you get "blood" marabou it shouldn't have a long, thick stem. Most suppliers will say "blood" or "blood quill" in their description. Same thing.

Joe