Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dflanagan

Blending styles….

and doing it poorly. 🤪

Stumbled onto some 2/0 Partridge HE2 hooks at the shop today. Nice looking and sharp. Thought a Logie, from Radencich’s Twenty Salmon Flies, would look good but my goose feathers were too small to make the wing. Thought about a burned goose shoulder feather tied in at the mid-body point. Obviously didn’t go with that. Pheasant rump followed by a light blue saddle hackle throat and some Syd Glasso-inspired wings resulted in this monstrosity. 

I’m happy with individual elements of the fly but the overall look sucks. The best thing to come out of it is, like Edison, I learned another way how not to make a light bulb. 

11365436-0193-4B73-AEB1-C1CC2EB82DF7.jpeg

Kinda got to a point where I’m trying to decide whether to strip it or save it. There’s still room at the head for the roof and some cheeks but, without a body hackle, I’m not sure it’s worth saving. Kinda leaning toward stripping and using the hook the way it was intended to be used and tie a Dee style.