Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
#10WhiteWolf

Small Caddis

I just posted this message under entomology, im looking for a lot of answers on this one. I wanted to know how small was to small for elk hair caddis? Ive tied them on a #20, and then Ive tied them on 12s and 10s too. The only time ive ever used the real small ones was a slow night on browns, and it worked really well. If anyone could give me some hints on caddis patterns and sizes, id appreciate it. Thanks.

Caddisflies come in very small sizes, to the point that they are referred to as micro-Caddis. I would think that an Elk Hair would be an effective pattern down to the point where you could no longer tie them.

Calvin

I really don't think that there is a limit besides how small you can tie. I would tend to think that the smaller you got the less it would be taken as a caddis and more as a midge or something similar.

Thanks guys....ive been kind of experimenting with just wrapping hackle on a good thread base, then ive also been using craft foam for bodies, simply because its less bulky than wrapped up chenille. If you guys have any more ideas about making them smaller, or find out any more, please let me know. Thanks!

~Josh

For tiny EHC......use some very fine dubbing, like beaver. And then use the same deerhair (for the wing) that you'd use to tie small comparaduns. No hackle necessary as the little tiny ones float just fine without it.

Tiny CDC and Elks work well, too, again with the substution of coastal deer hari for the elk wing....

I usually tie the CDC and Elk. I use a Deer's Mask for the wing material. Once I get down to size 20 or smaller, I'll switch over to a CDC wing. I agree with Blueman89 that once you get down that small you're into midge patterns.

Thanks for the tips guys. I kind of thought about using dubbing but i wasnt sure if itd make it sink at all or not, and i just havent tried it yet. Hopefully i can keep my eyes goin good enough to tie those smaller ones.....

~Josh