Fly Tying
DWSmith

Fly tying station; build or buy?

They're not that complicated and it should be fun to build it myself.  The ones that are available for purchase are ridiculously expensive, IMHO.

I like the portability so I can tie at my desk, at the dining table, or in the basement on a table.

Which way did you guys decide to go; build or buy?

Thanks,

Dan

+1 on build your own.   Nice to have where your vice clamps/fits on it.   Sounds like you gotta move it when not using.  Having a man cave lends itself to overdoing it.   😛. My station built years ago it is now buried.

Mat’l storage right now prolly gotta be portable too.  For a more permanent solution watch yard sales, etc for filing cabinets, drawer cabinets.   Lucked up with a huge one with 14 drawers 20” deep!

86EAAAD6-0550-4D41-8387-CCDE601ECFBA.jpeg

FA045CB4-6FFE-449E-94E1-7D936120692A.jpeg

621A831D-42B9-4D09-8FB2-EAB3E3DC3147.jpeg

B3E70278-69A8-4031-9BAB-C2355E3B80A4.jpeg

43CE590A-FC12-477D-8A63-177FBE619958.jpeg

D19C5A28-E001-4900-9FB5-19005CC478EC.jpeg

980EE78A-30C6-4D25-88B2-F139C189CAD7.jpeg
Caution.  Got dogs, cats gotta keep stuff put up.  Stepped out a minute came back and could not find my half Hungarian Partrige skin.  Finally noticed my buddy had a feather on his muzzle. “ How did you eat the whole thing?!!!!!”

A2492205-CDA6-47E2-9E19-B28E36D24446.jpeg

Nice looking dog!

That sounds like something Angus would do.  So far he has specialized on hamburger buns on the kitchen counter.  Once he got nearly a whole casserole off the kitchen island.  Mama was pissed!  Good thing it had cooled down first.  😁

Built a spool organizer this afternoon.  Holds 28 spools.  Easy & fun!

Have a little display board marked out to hold 5 electrical test lead clips.  Should only take a few minutes to drill the proper size and depth holes.

Planning a tool organizer.  May take a bit more thought.

Just using scraps of wood and tools I already own so no real cost except those test lead clips.

You guys are right; DIY is the way to go!

Thanks!  👍

If you do any wood turning, you might try something like this.  I shamelessly stole the design from something I saw in a Cabela’s catalog years ago.

It’s made from  a few scrap pieces of red oak from Home Depot and spins on a Lazy Susan bearing.  Very handy and doesn’t take up a lot of desk space.

1EECA89C-0276-44B0-9D7D-A0FE6AA73025.jpeg

Build it is the best option. Spend some time looking at ideas online then layout what you want from your present tying style I built my first designs out of inexpensive materials after I was happy the bench was made of oak I have modified it a few times.

I finished my display board just now.

Gadabout, yes I have done wood turning.  I like your Lazy Susan.  I'll have to get back in to practice with my lathe.

Cphubert, I've been looking at a lot of ideas online to steal ... er, uh ... borrow for my little modules at this site and the fly fishing site.  LOTS of great ideas.  I'd been hesitating making anything at first but then I started seeing it the way you mentioned.  If I don't like something I come up with I can change it until I'm happy then make it out of some good wood.  I can always use the practice and spruce/pine/fir are cheap!  And I can make a lot of prototypes and a final product for what a commercially made item costs that I may not really like.