Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DWSmith

DIY rod carrier ideas for my SUV?

I'd like to rig up a rod carrier so my assembled rods will fit along the roof inside my 4Runner.  I've seen one commercially made item but I'm looking for ideas for a DIY setup.

Photos would be great.

Thanks!

i prefer to just leave my rods in a rod tube and take them out when i'm ready to fish

less of a chance of breakage and it only takes a few minutes to assemble the rod

Db Dun Fly Rod Case FOR SALE! - PicClick

The Shower rods are a good start. but your rods will be sliding left and right as you make turns.  Some longer fly rods will have to be in pieces. Try using a pool noodle, cut into sections and sliced in the middle to keep the rods from moving..   I would suggest several noodles on the front rod.  Then place noodles between the shower rings in back.  Use a slit in the center of each front noodle section to keep rods from sliding forward or back,  The hole in the noodle will be a tight fit over the Shower rod.  Just my thoughts.

On the roads I travel to fish, my rods are always in the tube until I set it up when I am done traveling.