Fly Tying
atjurhs

Beginner Tying Kit Question

Lots of good options for online fly shops. Buying tools online is pretty safe as long as the tools are name brand. There isn't much variability item to item for tools like there is when purchasing natural materials. Some tiers really obsess over scissors and specialty fly tying scissors can be pretty expensive. Dr. Slick all purpose scissors or fiskars with a fine tip are good options and run 10-12 bucks. Loon all purpose scissors are similar and just a touch more expensive at around 15-16 bucks. 

There thread is worth the read when considering online options. 

https://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?/topic/101623-good-free-shipping-deals/

After reading about Little River Outfitters having free shipping on all orders, I gave them a try and was very pleased with the service and quality of materials they sent. 

A few places I've ordered from and been pleased:

JStockard

Little River Outfitters

Avidmax

Fly fish food

Jann's Netcraft

Hook and Hackle 

Slide Inn 

FishUSA

If your "local" shop has a website, that can be a good option too. Ive found many small shops love getting phone calls from customers to place orders. It also gives you a chance to specify what you're looking for, and it seems like they really go out of their way to get you the best they can offer if you call.

You could also reach out to Blue Line Fly Co. The guys that started the company are from Alabama but have moved out to Salt Lake City. They have some great YouTube videos too - including some smallmouth bass fishing in Alabama. 

12 hours ago, atjurhs said:

where can i go online to buy different pieces of equipment, like better scissor (sssh, i borrowed the girl friend's eye lash scissors) a better vice and supplies?  i hate to buy online but it's an hour half to the fly shop.  some things i can go without till the next time i drive down but somethings would be nice to have now

This might be the fastest vise upgrade ever. Im curious what kit you bought and how much it cost?

Wapsi Super Deluxe Fly Tying Starter Kit $179 with it comes an hour free tying lesson and a discount on fly fishing outing

Oops my bad your target fish is trout,  Disregard all this warm water junk.  Sorry confused you with the other guy.  
+1 on the Wapsi kit though.