Fly Tying
JarrodRuggles

challenge for the realistic tyers

Lets see how good yall can imitate the march brown mayfly.....any stage.

heres the kicker......

MUST BE FISHABLE

theres a twist for ya biggrin.gif

Just curious as to how good yall can do that.

I think we'll definately see some cool ones!!!

When you say fishable... do you mean tie it on and cast it to a fish OR it must be able to catch multple fish and still survive??????????

Let's get all the rules straight first. biggrin.gif

ok,

must be able to float, (if adult) and sink (if nymph). Must be the same size.

Thats about all I can thing of thats possible......lol

Jarrod

...you're killin' me Graham wink.gif Do I dare ask for a step-by-step? I'm just getting started in realistics and a mayfly pattern has ALWAYS been on my to-tie list...HELP ME dunno.gif rolleyes.gif

There are some excellent tiers posting here in the Realistic section...I've been staying away from tying realistics for the past several months but ever since I signed on to this Forum you folks have jumped started my desire...Thanks to all. Thom

hey Graham,

how did you make this body? man, you are an artist! congratulations! great mayfly... what is its size? I am a beginner too and a step-by-step would be a great help! baby.gif rolleyes.gif

best regards

FebFly

Ok, I need to confess, this is not a tied fly, I made the picture in Photoshop, using an image of a real March Brown. rolleyes.gif I haven't had time to tie flies in almost two weeks, today taking off work and going up to Big Bear Lake with my son, not fishing, just hanging out and have a nice lunch on the lake. I just finished a sizable project at work, and now have more time again for pleasurable things, such as tying.

Graham

Though the gills don't show well in this photo they are made from poly yarn and do actually breathe in the water ... biggrin.gif

http://www.hatchmasters.ca/m2a.JPG

And though it looks fragile ... it's rock solid and good for numerous fish ... wink.gif

user posted image

Size 14 standard dry fly hook shown (no Photoshop involved as per the new rule ... ) biggrin.gif

Hey I was hoping to be the first one to finish a fly so mine didn't look too bad. I fell asleep at three though and didn't finish painting it until this morning. biggrin.gif Nice job Salmonfly headbang.gif What did you use for the legs? Looks great. Well here's my try at it. Don't laugh too much.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image